Magna Matic 9000 vs RGB 712

OP
Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox

LawnSite Senior Member
FYI, the extended worktable is back in stock, and slightly bigger than before

I put the cart before the horse on this one. I just bought the worktable. I hope between now and then I do not decide on the Mag 8000 or something. I noticed that the smaller black one has been out of stock for awhile now so I figured I would get this now.

Probably going to be selling my Bradley here soon as well.

mowerman41

LawnSite Senior Member
I have had the RBG-712 for 3 years, and love it! I sharpen a blades for other landscaping companies and home owners. The only complaint that I have is when I have to do mulching blades, I am going to be the mulching blade adapter for the RB6-712 and then I can handle the mulching blades with the RBG-712.

Eric502

LawnSite Senior Member
IF in your shoes I would look at either which machine I preferred for one reason or the other (appearance, ease of use, etc.) OR I would go based off what I think I can get parts for much later down the road....i.e. which company could go tits up first.

That said... Oregon belt and burr king are WAY out of my price and need ranges. I have a mag 8000 and have NO issue, qualms, problems, complains, regrets, etc....

And I easily could have been the one to say somewhere something along the lines of buy once cry once etc.... get what you want and that is high quality and you will not regret it. Not always applicable, but generally good rule of thumb.

HeadScratcher

LawnSite Senior Member
Both companies have been around forever. Magna-Matic has at least somewhat embraced the digital age and has a Youtube channel and a little social media presence. RBG still uses B&W pictures of most of their products. That's pretty lame even by late 20th century standards.

The motors MM uses are US made and industrial grade. Their RPM is also twice that of the RBG. Can't really tell too much about RBG's motors, but in one of their pictures I saw where it said it was made in Mexico.

I like belt grinders for the other things they can do.... but aren't they the least clean option? Don't the shavings just go everywhere?

grass man 11

LawnSite Bronze Member
Belt grinder is the way to go. Sharper, faster, less labor. Blades don’t get heat treated so the edge lasts longer. We get 50% more run time on our blades vs using a stone grinder. Paid for itself in 1 season.

OP
Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox

LawnSite Senior Member
IF in your shoes I would look at either which machine I preferred for one reason or the other (appearance, ease of use, etc.) OR I would go based off what I think I can get parts for much later down the road....i.e. which company could go tits up first.

That said... Oregon belt and burr king are WAY out of my price and need ranges. I have a mag 8000 and have NO issue, qualms, problems, complains, regrets, etc....

And I easily could have been the one to say somewhere something along the lines of buy once cry once etc.... get what you want and that is high quality and you will not regret it. Not always applicable, but generally good rule of thumb.

Yes sir! It was you.

OP
Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox

LawnSite Senior Member
Belt grinder is the way to go. Sharper, faster, less labor. Blades don’t get heat treated so the edge lasts longer. We get 50% more run time on our blades vs using a stone grinder. Paid for itself in 1 season.

So the belt grinder is the original one I wanted. I always tried getting past the price and finally did. Then I realized I had no 220v outlets available for it and that was where I stopped. It may be seemingly small but with it already being a good deal more than my budget the outlet issue was enough to turn me away.

So I now may have to consider one. I already have a balancer from Magna Matic. Could you share with me which one you have?

Top Forums