Magna Matic 9000 vs RGB 712

grass man 11

LawnSite Bronze Member
Both companies have been around forever. Magna-Matic has at least somewhat embraced the digital age and has a Youtube channel and a little social media presence. RBG still uses B&W pictures of most of their products. That's pretty lame even by late 20th century standards.

The motors MM uses are US made and industrial grade. Their RPM is also twice that of the RBG. Can't really tell too much about RBG's motors, but in one of their pictures I saw where it said it was made in Mexico.

I like belt grinders for the other things they can do.... but aren't they the least clean option? Don't the shavings just go everywhere?
The belt grinder is the cleanest option. There is no stone dust from the wheel. Metal off the blade is the same.

HeadScratcher

LawnSite Senior Member
Metal off the blade is the same.
Yeah, but how do you contain it? I've seen YT videos of belt grinders being used in shops and the shavings go all over the place. They picked them up with magnets.

I'm not badmouthing belt grinders because they obviously have a lot of versatility, whereas a dedicated blade sharpener like the Magna-Matic is a one trick pony. They just seem messy though.

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
I have my All American Sharpener mounted to a 2 x 6 that I clamp to my Keter table, and I set it up outside. It takes about two minutes to set up and tear down, but I get no shavings in the shop/garage. I use flap discs with my Milwaukee grinder. My operation is small so it’s a good fit. The AA sharpens perfect every time. Pretty good bang for your Buck imo. I’m sure the MM’s are awesome too. I just am too small to justify one

grass man 11

LawnSite Bronze Member
Yeah, but how do you contain it? I've seen YT videos of belt grinders being used in shops and the shavings go all over the place. They picked them up with magnets.

I'm not badmouthing belt grinders because they obviously have a lot of versatility, whereas a dedicated blade sharpener like the Magna-Matic is a one trick pony. They just seem messy though.
Every standard stone wheel grinder that I have owned made a larger mess than my belt grinder. I understand what your saying that there is no containment box, but It’s very clean. There is no stone dust, as pointed out in the video. Assuming your putting this thing against a wall where the shaving will drop, it’s nothing more than 30 seconds with a shop vac. But it’s still half the amount of material.

I would also say that the above video has the wrong belt on. We can sharpen ours in 2 passes. This video is slow.

grass man 11

LawnSite Bronze Member
So the belt grinder is the original one I wanted. I always tried getting past the price and finally did. Then I realized I had no 220v outlets available for it and that was where I stopped. It may be seemingly small but with it already being a good deal more than my budget the outlet issue was enough to turn me away.

So I now may have to consider one. I already have a balancer from Magna Matic. Could you share with me which one you have?

mine is a 110v. It operates well, however if you where going to do a lot of starting and stopping, I would opt for the 220v. We do about 30-60 blades at once, so we are not flipping it on and off a bunch. We have the larger Oregon model , with the 3 wheels

OP
Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox

LawnSite Senior Member
mine is a 110v. It operates well, however if you where going to do a lot of starting and stopping, I would opt for the 220v. We do about 30-60 blades at once, so we are not flipping it on and off a bunch. We have the larger Oregon model , with the 3 wheels

So to be honest I thought all of them, even the two wheel model required 220v. I was certain that is what turned me off from it. Do you know if they cut pretty close to a 30 degree angle? I realize it is not the most important thing but it would be nice when spending so much money.

It looks like they are up greatly in price as of recent too. I found a YouTube video earlier this year with a x400 and they said it cost them right around $1,500 which I would be interested in. However, that same Oregon x400 is easily over $2,000 now.

HeadScratcher

LawnSite Senior Member
Yes, the belt grinders are $$$. Saw one this morning over $4k. Looked sweet as hell, but ouch! If they were closer in price to the MAG-8000 I would have considered one, but I got a such a ridiculous deal on it I couldn't turn it down.

I can tell you this about the Magna-Matic sharpeners - when you sharpen the same blade a second time with one the process goes VERY fast, I guess mostly because you're maintaining the same angle that was put on the first time.

Hexa Fox, if you can decide if you're only going to sharpen your own blades or try to make some cash on the side, that might help in making a final decision. If you'll only ever do straight flat blades, just get the MAG-9000. It works great. Even if you have an occasional wavy mulch blade to do, I'd probably still recommend the 9000. Sharpen the main flat part of the blade with it, and then touch up the wavy portion of the blade with an angle grinder. The wavy part of the blade isn't doing the main cutting, it's doing the re-cutting of grass that's already been cut by the tip of the blade, so maybe you could make the argument that it's less important for the wavy edge to be as perfect as the tips.

I started advertising blade sharpening locally this summer and only one person has brought me a straight flat blade. Every other blade has been a wavy mulch blade or a blade from a Toro Recycler which has an arc shape to it.

The 9000 is reasonably light & portable. The 8000 probably weighs 40-50% more. I think the belt grinders are all over 100 lbs.

grass man 11

LawnSite Bronze Member
So to be honest I thought all of them, even the two wheel model required 220v. I was certain that is what turned me off from it. Do you know if they cut pretty close to a 30 degree angle? I realize it is not the most important thing but it would be nice when spending so much money.

It looks like they are up greatly in price as of recent too. I found a YouTube video earlier this year with a x400 and they said it cost them right around $1,500 which I would be interested in. However, that same Oregon x400 is easily over $2,000 now.
We paid around $3500. Worth every penny.

OP
Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox

LawnSite Senior Member
Yes, the belt grinders are $$$. Saw one this morning over $4k. Looked sweet as hell, but ouch! If they were closer in price to the MAG-8000 I would have considered one, but I got a such a ridiculous deal on it I couldn't turn it down.

I can tell you this about the Magna-Matic sharpeners - when you sharpen the same blade a second time with one the process goes VERY fast, I guess mostly because you're maintaining the same angle that was put on the first time.

Hexa Fox, if you can decide if you're only going to sharpen your own blades or try to make some cash on the side, that might help in making a final decision. If you'll only ever do straight flat blades, just get the MAG-9000. It works great. Even if you have an occasional wavy mulch blade to do, I'd probably still recommend the 9000. Sharpen the main flat part of the blade with it, and then touch up the wavy portion of the blade with an angle grinder. The wavy part of the blade isn't doing the main cutting, it's doing the re-cutting of grass that's already been cut by the tip of the blade, so maybe you could make the argument that it's less important for the wavy edge to be as perfect as the tips.

I started advertising blade sharpening locally this summer and only one person has brought me a straight flat blade. Every other blade has been a wavy mulch blade or a blade from a Toro Recycler which has an arc shape to it.

The 9000 is reasonably light & portable. The 8000 probably weighs 40-50% more. I think the belt grinders are all over 100 lbs.

That's interesting. I know that you are much more likely to find landscapers with straight blades. However, I would not have guessed that nearly all you are getting are not straight flat blades. It makes sense I guess, we have an old Craftsmen zero turn that has been very reliable for a MTD machine and we have been running full mulching blades on it for years now. It really takes care of a leaf cleanup fast.

However, yes I am definitely interested in doing other peoples blades to makeup at least some of the cost of the unit regardless of what I get. My opinion has changed a lot on this stuff over the years as well.

One of the major pushes for a sharpener is that blades are no longer cheap. A set for my Ferris costs around $100 now and he charges an outrageous $35 to have them sharpened. However, I did not know that aftermarket alternatives are actually viable. I was surprised that the Oregon replacement for my machine held up so well and left such a great cut. I can get about three sets of these Oregons for the cost of one set from Briggs. Plus the Oregons were cheaper than it costs to have blades sharpened at my dealer.

I am also aware that there are only a few actual manufacturers of lawn mower blades. So I probably have around two dozen sets of dull lawn mower blades just sitting around. They went on brand new and were used for a couple months max and are now awaiting a sharpening. I get so busy sometimes it is easier to just pay the $100 price tag for the three sets of Oregons and now have to worry about it for most of the cutting season.

I mean if you do the math here at $2,000 I could buy roughly 57 SETS of the Oregon blades. That is the cost of the Oregon x400 series versus $35 per set of Oregons. A lot of you guys might be different but that is many, many years of me mowing grass while swapping out brand new blades and not worrying about sharpening.

Just some food for thought, I enjoy discussing stuff like this with you guys.

Top Forums