Magna Matic 9000 vs RGB 712

HeadScratcher

LawnSite Senior Member
That's interesting. I know that you are much more likely to find landscapers with straight blades. However, I would not have guessed that nearly all you are getting are not straight flat blades.
Well, everyone that has brought me blades has been a homeowner. It's been so long since I used a resi mower that I had no memory of what their blades were like. I sharpened the blade of my neighbor's electric mower... there was nothing to it. I think I could've folded it over on itself by hand.

I advertised that commercial guys are welcome to bring me their blades, but no takers as of yet. Really, other than not having the time (which can happen), it really makes no sense for a commercial operator to pay someone else to sharpen their blades.

We have a couple of big operations where I live. I'm just guessing, but they must have at least 20-30 employees each, so likely somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 mowers in service every day. Just to make the math easier, assume all those mowers are 48" or larger. That's 75 blades that need sharpening. Even if they could get a cheap bulk rate of $4-$5 a blade from someone, you're looking at $300-375 in sharpening costs. Four sharpenings and you've paid for a MAG-8000. It'd take eight sharpenings to pay for a belt grinder, but when you have that number of blades to sharpen regularly your cost is recouped in no time. I figure these operations must own at least a couple sharpeners each.

I think the most money I've made in one week has been $30, :cool:. Certainly nothing to get excited over, but in a year or so you've recouped the cost of one of the Magna-Matic units, and now you have it for your own use for the rest of your life.

OP
Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox

LawnSite Senior Member
We paid around $3500. Worth every penny.
Thanks for answering all my questions I appreciate it. Can you also tell me if it is easy to maintain your desired angle with it? That is the problem I am having with the Bradley. Which I am selling by the way, asking $350 for it and it is literally brand new. I am trying to sell it locally.

Anyway the Bradley makes it difficult because of being able to lower the wheel and move the work table. I tried taking a new set of blades and dialing it so the wheel was contacting the cutting surface like I wanted but still could not achieve a 30 degree angle.

This is also why I really like the Magna Matics now. It sounds idiot proof, lower the wheel until it is nearly contacting the table and you will achieve your 30 degree angle.

grass man 11

LawnSite Bronze Member
Once
Thanks for answering all my questions I appreciate it. Can you also tell me if it is easy to maintain your desired angle with it? That is the problem I am having with the Bradley. Which I am selling by the way, asking $350 for it and it is literally brand new. I am trying to sell it locally.

Anyway the Bradley makes it difficult because of being able to lower the wheel and move the work table. I tried taking a new set of blades and dialing it so the wheel was contacting the cutting surface like I wanted but still could not achieve a 30 degree angle.

This is also why I really like the Magna Matics now. It sounds idiot proof, lower the wheel until it is nearly contacting the table and you will achieve your 30 degree angle.
Once you set your angle, it never changes, even as the belt wears or the blade wears. Set it once, never touch it again. Your guys have to intentionally try to mess it up.

the stone wheel grinders, at least the once I know, as the wheel wears and shrinks in diameter, the angle needs to be readjusted slightly.

I should mention all our blades are high lift and flat , I can’t comment on mulching blades. I think they make something to help with those, but I’m not positive.

HeadScratcher

LawnSite Senior Member
I'd say *almost* idiot proof. So many people ignore reading the instructions with stuff that they can still screw things up. The worktables are considered a "wear item" that you can replace, but there's no reason the original can't last almost forever.

Take a postcard or a piece of paper and put it between the worktable and the grinding wheel as you lower it down to contact the table so the wheel can't move. Then slowly raise the wheel until you can pull out the piece of paper and you're good to go and the wheel never made contact with the table.

I've seen several Mag sharpeners where the worktables have been chewed up by lowering the wheel into it. Makes no sense.

Eric502

LawnSite Senior Member
@Hexa Fox I have not caught up on this thread... but seeing you kick the proverbial belt grinder tires.....

You seem like the kind that will research this well enough, so I won't go into that. BUT for other options that provide the same results (maybe even have more versatility).... look at knife and axe making grinders too. They have belt grinder setups that IMO are WAY more useful than just mower blades. BUT they have all the same precision, quality, etc as a big oregon or burr king unit

Just something to muddy the waters more. NOT endorsing anything here... but here is a page that talks about some of this junk I am referring to just to get the creative juices flowing. https://www.redlabelabrasives.com/blogs/news/how-to-choose-the-best-belt-grinder-for-knife-making

OP
Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox

LawnSite Senior Member
@Hexa Fox I have not caught up on this thread... but seeing you kick the proverbial belt grinder tires.....

You seem like the kind that will research this well enough, so I won't go into that. BUT for other options that provide the same results (maybe even have more versatility).... look at knife and axe making grinders too. They have belt grinder setups that IMO are WAY more useful than just mower blades. BUT they have all the same precision, quality, etc as a big oregon or burr king unit

Just something to muddy the waters more. NOT endorsing anything here... but here is a page that talks about some of this junk I am referring to just to get the creative juices flowing. https://www.redlabelabrasives.com/blogs/news/how-to-choose-the-best-belt-grinder-for-knife-making

So I was just thinking the same thing. I have been looking around at these other belt grinders for awhile and noticed a lot of them get excellent reviews for a fraction of the price. I always go to the reviews and try to use CTRL+F to look for what people say about mower blades. Since there was not a whole lot said I just forgot about it.

Top Forums