• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

Magna Matic Owners speak up

Blessed 1

LawnSite Senior Member
Been waiting all winter to purchase a Magna Matic Blade sharpener. All off the local input I am getting from the dealers here are saying they prefer using a hand grinder and cant justify the $580 to get a Mag. Some of you guys that own them help me justify getting one. I was at a end user school for Exmark over the weekend and the instuctor basically said the same. Thanks

kels

LawnSite Senior Member
why would you spend $8000 - $10000 on a mower and then contemplate whether or not to spend the dollars on a professional grade blade sharpener and balancer, after all spinning sharp blades is the mowers primary function isn't it.

i have no regrets buying mine.

MudslinginFX4

LawnSite Bronze Member
I can do the same thing with a grinder.... never had any problems with it. (you've got to know how to sharpen it right though). We sharpen ours atleast twice a week during the peak season now.

kels

LawnSite Senior Member
since sharpening is so fast and easy (you do not have to know how to sharpen it right, you can't do it wrong) I sharpen mine daily during the peak season.

Tomt

LawnSite Member
I agree with kels.
The benefits I have found are; very easy to use, fast, very consistent results, longer blade life, very professional results & longer mower life ( from balance).

I am happy I spent the money, no regrets.
:cool2:

Fareway Lawncare

LawnSite Silver Member
Mag 8000 w/balancer & stand was one of the best investments I've made. Much faster & more accurate than Previous Grinder.

However, I'm not sure if it will be as useful next season as I have ordered a couple sets of Meg-Mo blades. If they work as expected I will be switching over to Meg-Mo's & I'm told they rarely need to be sharpened & sharpen better on a 4" Grinder.

mag8000.jpg

lazer 46

LawnSite Senior Member
Weather one can justify the expense of buying a magnamatic is strictly up to the individual. Everybody's situation is different. I got by with a hand grinder for many years. Not really pleased with the edge I was putting on the blades but it was good enough, especially for some of the lawns I do(basically cow pastures). I took the plunge last summer and got the Magnamatic 9000 and balancer. I went for the stand also. After seeing how this thing sharpens I realized how bad I was sharpening my blades with a hand grinder, and even the cow pastures cut easier because I actually got the right angle and a sharp edge on the blade. In my case, well worth the money.

OP
B

Blessed 1

LawnSite Senior Member
Now I'm all confused, and my wife is throwing in her 2 cents like she is going to sharpen a blade...............hahaha. Of course you know what she is saying. This is the part when coming together as one and talking about (most) purchases (over $100)before you purchase them comes back to really haunt you......;) :eek: