Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Im in store for a new blade sharpener, the brand new craftsman I bought is trashed(bench grinder) Looking at the base model 9000 sharpener. My brother In Law has been using the same one for almost 8 years now and I know they are great, Are they worth the price? 551.00 delivered to my door
Also Is the balde balancers worth it too? 150 bucks to check blade balance seems steep. Let em know.
Bill

·
Registered
524 Posts
I just got the 9000, the balancer and the stand. I cannot believe the difference in cut with the blades I have sharpened. I was only fooling myself thinking I was getting a good edge with a hand grinder. I should have had this outfit 5 years ago. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I am considering buying one within a week, however it appears from past posts that there are lengthy delays in getting products from that company.....If I were to purchase one, how long would it take to get to my door? lawn season is in it's final leg, and I don't want to wait forever for this product.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Originally posted by PetalsandPines
I am considering buying one within a week, however it appears from past posts that there are lengthy delays in getting products from that company.....If I were to purchase one, how long would it take to get to my door? lawn season is in it's final leg, and I don't want to wait forever for this product.
Post this on the Magnamatic site and they will answer all your questions

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have the mag 9000, balancer and stand as well, one word awesome.

I cannot understand why LCO's spend $8000 - $10000 on a mower and then contemplate whether or not to spend the dollars on a professional grade blade sharpener and balancer, after all spinning sharp blades is the mowers primary function isn't it?

·
Founder
629 Posts
Originally posted by GLAN
I have a 10" Bench Grinder. Cost me $60

I can do blades the end result is the same as those $600 grinders.

Balancer is well worth the money.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :eek: hahahahahaha :eek: haha

Joe homeowner might own a $100 MTD push mower, do you think the end result is the same as a $9000 ZTR?

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Originally posted by GLAN
I have a 10" Bench Grinder. Cost me $60
So do I. But I don't use it to sharpen blades. Just too much skill needed. The dedicated blade sharpeners allow a dummy to do a better job than you do on the bench grinder.

Its an INVESTMENT tool that will last for a few decades. People act like these things cost an arm, a leg, and your first born.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Yes, yes

Ooops..................

Must have a Magna Magnificent Matic Blade Grinder. Break your piggy banks, roll up that change. Run, don't walk to your dealer, bring it home imediately.

What?

They don't have one in stock? Order it man, next day air..........Must have it.

How can anyone expect to have sharp blades or even the correct pitch without one. It's just not possible. I tell ya. My Magna Matic Blade Grinder has done wonders for my business. In fact I saved time. Lots of time.

How did I save so much time? Come over hear, I'll show ya..........
See that? I got my pet Monkey doing the baldes on my Magna Matic Blade Grinder.............Couldn't get him to do that on my old rusty Bench Grinder............

Ya think the sponsor might use that for a commercial???

·
Founder
629 Posts
Both of my dealers (the one that lived close to home and the one in my mowing district) used dedicated sharpening systems.... I don't know if they were magna-matic or not because that was about 6 years ago and I had no knowledge of them.....

Dealers prolly puts on the image that they use grinders and don't really push the sale of dedicated sharpeners because they want people to keep paying the high prices they charge to sharpen all those blades.

Heck, Ive even heard stories of guys going into business and making a living solely offering blade sharpening services, using a dedicated sharpening system of course.

With everything in life there is a right way and a wrong way... some choose the right way, others choose the wrong way..... hopefully, with all the knowledge being passed around on LawnSite.com, more people will make the right choice.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
We're talking blades Chuck

Something that is sharpened almost daily.

Diference of opinion, that's all it is.

Question of the thread was whether it was worth the money.

Not right or wrong, correct of incorrect.

Blades can be sharpened with anything of your chosing. Dedicated grinders, bench grinders, angle grinders or the simple hand filing.

A dedicated grinder is just that. It has one purpose. A bench grinder is multi purpose. Will it be able to do what the dedicated machine does? Yes.

The difference is $600 or $800 vs. $60 or $90.

Showing the dollar difference..................is it worth it?...........No.
But if you can't possibly do blades with a bench grinder, then by all means buy the $600 grinder. But then I am wondering if that person is qualified to operate machinery.

And your going to tell 10,000 of your members they are doing it wrong cause they are not using a dedicated grinder.

Your opinion is biased for the simple fact of your affiliation with this site and the sponsors..........

·
Founder
629 Posts
"Something that is sharpened almost daily."

Yep, daily, sometimes companies change out blades twice daily... depending on conditions.

"Not right or wrong, correct of incorrect."

I stand corrected ( :) ), maybe it would be better to say, non efficient or efficient.

"Blades can be sharpened with anything of your choosing. Dedicated grinders, bench grinders, angle grinders or the simple hand filing."

Like I mentioned...you can do things the efficient way, or the non efficient way.

"A dedicated grinder is just that. It has one purpose. A bench grinder is multi purpose. Will it be able to do what the dedicated machine does? Yes"

You can throw a head of lettuce in your trucks engine fan to make a salad.... but would you call your truck multi-purpose?

"The difference is $600 or $800 vs. $60 or $90."

http://www.northwestpowertool.com/grinders/bench/jbg10a.htm
Theres a $300 bench grinder, ... now, for just a little more you can get a much more efficient system for sharpening blades.

"Showing the dollar difference..............is it worth it?...........No. But if you can't possibly do blades with a bench grinder, then by all means buy the $600 grinder. But then I am wondering if that person is qualified to operate machinery."

You must be a Barney Bad Az$ on a bench grinder... maybe you should market these skills into seminars, etc... If you can show people how to use a bench grinder more efficiently than a dedicated blade sharpening system then you got a niche all to yourself.

"And your going to tell 10,000 of your members they are doing it wrong cause they are not using a dedicated grinder."

No, If they asked... I would tell them about a more efficient process that will save them time (=money) and energy. I would never bark at someone for the ways they run their business... I don't think anyone has ever posted something like this... "I use a bench grinder to 'sharpen' my blades! So what of it!!?!!" (asking for a response to that statement)

"Your opinion is biased for the simple fact of your affiliation with this site and the sponsors.........."

I don't think I have ever pushed a product on anyone... sponsor or not. As a matter of fact, I think most everyone here knows I don't own or operate a LCO anymore... (since 98 or so) So, how could I voice my opinion.... LawnSite.com sponsors speak for themselves. If a company can't back up their products, performance and support they should prolly stick with magazine adds. ( IMO ;) )

·
Registered
405 Posts
Do you magna-matic owners notice a big difference in the cut of the lawn. I currently use a bench grinder but I do have a Magna Matic 9000 on order (or should I say 2 week back order), but I notice little stragglers sticking up after I cut, so I was wondering if the Magna Matic will help out better on this. Hope to get it soon, tomarrow will be 2 weeks and I hope it ships right away. They must make them as they get the orders in, because it seems like a lot of people been talking about the long delays.

Lasher

·
Registered
524 Posts
Originally posted by lasher66
Do you magna-matic owners notice a big difference in the cut of the lawn. I currently use a bench grinder but I do have a Magna Matic 9000 on order (or should I say 2 week back order), but I notice little stragglers sticking up after I cut, so I was wondering if the Magna Matic will help out better on this. Hope to get it soon, tomarrow will be 2 weeks and I hope it ships right away. They must make them as they get the orders in, because it seems like a lot of people been talking about the long delays.

Lasher
I noticed a big difference in the cut. Those cute little yellow flowers that seemed to have barbed wire attatched to them stand no more. After 6 0r 8 hours of cutting I can still see and feel a noticable edge on the blade. I use to use a hand grinder and I guess I just wasn't very good at getting a good edge on the blade. I get it right now. And if you have any questions about their product you can e-mail them and they will answer almost immediately. Great product, great support.

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
GLAN,

You seem to have quite a large operation, and from what I can tell your not "hands on" 100%. Are you "hands on " in the maintenance dept? Or do you have a mechanic?

Either way, a dedicated blade sharpener is DEFINATELY something EVERY LCO should have. From the P/T weekend warrior, to the multimillion dollar large corporations.

I don't understand your inability to accept a more efficient way of doing something. Not too many people can be more thick-headed than me, and I've had one since '92

Sure your bench grinder will sharpen great, maybe even better than some cheapie dedicated ones, but the ability to be precise and even without burning and gouging, and to be precise in the proper angle is priceless.

Plus....Its a freakin' tax writeoff! :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.