1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Magna Matic woth the money?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jet Mech, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Jet Mech

Jet Mech LawnSite Member
    from Indy

I have to say yes! I purchased a Mag 9000 this spring. I was hopeful that it would provide me with some time savings when sharpening blades. (God knows nobody wants to spend a lot of time with a grinder and blades following a full day of cutting.)
    I was pleasantly suprised with the speed of the Mag 9000 blade grinder. I was even more pleased with the quality of edge and cut that my blades had following sharpening. The Mag 9000 grinder is an "investment", as mentioned in previous posts. I have found it to be a worth while "investment in time". It has provided me with more free time and a great finished product.

2. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

JetMech, how many mowers do you have, how many blades do you sharpen on a weekly basis?

3. Jet Mech

Jet Mech LawnSite Member
    from Indy

Rustic Goat, I currently have three mowers. (Two of which I run doubles on.) So on an average week I sharpen 15 blades. This figure is based on each set of blades getting sharpened on 8-10 hour intervals.

With the time savings from using the Mag 9000, I have freed up enough time to accasionally sharpened a neighbor's blades off of his three mowers as well. Even with the additional blades, I come in well under the time that it took to sharpen blades in the past.

4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

And how did you do it in the past?

Specs of the grinder?

How much time saved?

5. Jet Mech

Jet Mech LawnSite Member
    from Indy

Sorry for the delay, "GLAN".

In the past I used a combination of bench grinder and/or 4 1/2" hand grinder. Both of which would over temp the mower blades and would take forever to remove material. It makes a great difference in having the proper grit abrasive wheel. (Refer to Magna Matic's web site for in depth details.) Not to mention having a dead on, consistant grinder angle.