Maine

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by jonesy5149, Feb 19, 2011.

1. TML

TML LawnSite Senior Member

Never got the email notifications on this thread, good luck allagash. I dont think I'm far behind you, should get final confirmation this week on a FT salaried position with outstanding benefits for my family, also outside of the green industry. I spent the last 2 months job searching, interviewing ect which is almost a job in itself!! I figured now was a good time before my prior work experience became too stale and before I got too old!!

Although the larger guys I checked with about my good accounts said thanks but no more residential for them in fact they will be reducing their residential clientele after this season. I'm going to see a handful of the best ones through the season on my days off, as they will be easy from this point on and they are good people.

All 3 kids in school FT so the need for a lot of schedule flexibility is not as important anymore, combined with all my equipment is way overdue for replacement along with dramatic rising cost of self employed health insurance. To be honest the thrill of being my own boss also wore off a bit, as a solo guy I could pay the household bills but found it difficult to be the main supporter for the family, save up enough money to reinvest in the business, and take vacations, make home improvements ect. No more worrying about winter income will it snow or not. I also could get very few people to opt for any type of seasonal prepaid plowing service.

hort101 likes this.
  2. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Good luck, you guys are having me doubt my life choices now :dizzy::laugh:

McFarland_Lawn_Care and hort101 like this.
  3. allagashpm

allagashpm LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck buddy. It has been a huge stress reliever for me, and I've only been at my new job 2 weeks.
    I didn't realize how much of my life it was consuming until I walked away from it.
    Being your own boss is great, but there is also something nice about just doing one job, and focusing on that, instead of having to do all the jobs. Too much stuff was falling through the cracks for me.
    Not trying to bring down anyone else, it's a great industry, and if I didn't have a family I would probably still be doing it.

hort101 likes this.
  4. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow....good lucky sir. It's a tough business to run in such an extremely seasonal part of the country. I'm also over worked and consumed by many aspects of the business but I also have a LOT more flexibility than I used to have a few years back. A lot of profits are still being re-invested in the business as it grows but finally starting to see some good returns for all my sweat and tears. Plus I can't turn back now with 8-10 guys relying on me! =( hahaha. Keep in touch!

5. McFarland_Lawn_Care

how's everyone holding up? Starting to tackle leaves and storm cleanups over here. We had a very nice warm fall but this cold weather was bound to arrive sometime! =(

6. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Still behind after that whole week with no power and dealing with downed trees. Still have trees/tops down at a few properties that have to be dealt with.

Should be done in two weeks and ready (or as ready as we can be) for winter white stuff. Hope everyone who's still in had a good season :drinkup:

hort101 likes this.
  7. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Just about done fall cleanups. Putting mowers/etc away Tuesday. Plows are coming home from the shop this week and sanders are being installed on the trucks. Plow stakes are being installed this week too. Gears are shifting fast! Winter weather is knocking hard!

hort101 likes this.
  8. McFarland_Lawn_Care

Headed to an equipment auction the end of this month...anyone looking for anything?

9. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I could have last week. LOL. I just drove to Albany New York and bought a used loader.