Maine

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by jonesy5149, Feb 19, 2011.

1. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya, we've been out for 2 weeks on cleanups and trees but rarely put a z on a lawn.

2. McFarland_Lawn_Care

6066.jpeg

Picked up 2 new additions yesterday. .. hope they work well....

3. McFarland_Lawn_Care

So I go through this every year. Spring cleanups. Most of our customers are not here until Memorial Day and only stay for the summer. They have no idea what the spring cleanup job involves. Depending on how much plow damage was done, this could be quite expensive or other years not much at all. I don't have time to go around to all the properties every season and provide estimates and wait a week or more for a customer to approve it etc. So we just go ahead and do the work and bill for it. HOWEVER I'm getting tired of explaining myself to many customers who wonder exactly what we did and why it fluctuates so much etc. I'm toying with the idea of giving a blanket contract spring cleanup price for every client. Some years I'll make more money and some years I'll lose a little but seems it might make sense and take out some stress and hassle. THOUGHTS on this????

4. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

It can work but there are a few factors to consider.

Are you guys doing the plowing or someone else? It's easy to minimize damage if your guys are behind the controls. We still have properties that the plowing contractor hasn't fixed their damage yet.

Properties with a lot of trees which can blow down/broken branches can cause headaches if they are lumped into the price.

Same for properties with slopes or low lying areas which may slough off and need attention during wet Springs.

The biggest thing is communication with the customer, explain it like an insurance policy, "you hope that pine doesn't come down next winter but if it does we'll take care of it." Or "if we have a wet Spring and your driveway gets rutted up or your beach erodes we've got you covered."

A few have gone this route for us and I personally like it better, but we do it as a program for the entire season and break it into monthly payments so it's easier to budget.

hort101 likes this.
  5. McFarland_Lawn_Care

Okay, thanks for the feedback. Some of the places we plow but many we do not and also a lot of damage comes from the street plows as well.

Ya, I'd never include a tree cleanup or removal in a contract - too many variables. I'll think this over and might roll out new contracts for next season requiring flat price cleanups.

6. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

How do you like that stander so far?

We just picked up a 661R Deere and man is it a game changer

7. McFarland_Lawn_Care

Funny you should mention it - very happy over all but broke a tension spring today - just snapped for no reason. I've had this happen before with other mowers even when new - sometimes you get a bad spring with a seam I think. Other than that it's great. I have another Deere stander so we knew how it was going to be going into this. Gravely is just simpler and less maintenance overall.

8. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

That's awesome, went with Deere for the dealer support. Went with the stander because trailer real estate is becoming tight lol.

Perfect pairing with the walkers on medium sized properties.

9. McFarland_Lawn_Care

Let me know how you like that Deere....ours is the original 7 iron II with the stamped deck...much better than the new wright mowers imho...but who knows.

10. allagashpm

allagashpm LawnSite Senior Member

So since you went with gravelys does that mean you weren’t sold on the scag after running the cheetah?
    Look great though I always wanted to try a stander.

For the spring cleanups I was in a similar situation with summer residents. Most didn’t question it, same as they didn’t question if I plowed or shoveled their roof in the winter, they trusted my judgement. The ones that did I would just take some pictures before and text them to them. Before and afters or a dump trailer full of brush. Anything major I would get approval for like you said, but waiting until they get up to see it before isn’t feasible. Once the grass gets longer the cleanups take much longer.

hort101 likes this.