Maine

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by jonesy5149, Feb 19, 2011.

1. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Correct - did not like the scag one bit. Mows great but sucks at bagging. Had constant blowout in front and side. Had it back to the dealer several times and they even put on one of their old baffles from prior models but didn't seem to help. Whenever you turn or back up while bagging it leaves clumps of grass where you stopped. Plus VERY long machine - took up lots of room on a trailer. OVER engineered - tons of stuff to grease. Plastic or composite valve covers on the engine always leaking - had those replaced 2 times all while under 600 hrs. Starter just crapped out...still only about 700 on it. I know a lot of people love them but I do not. Perhaps I got a lemon but my least favorite mower. I won't drive it.

hort101 likes this.
  2. McFarland_Lawn_Care

Well, after renting for several years, finally pulled the trigger on new little 4 ton excavator. I'm sure it will pay dividends in the long run....

hort101 likes this.
  3. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

What did you end up going with for a machine?

We do the same, line up a bunch of work in July and August and rent a machine for both months. I like the idea of owning but also like the idea of having a new machine every year. We only have a couple days a week to sneak in excavation jobs in between mowing and breakdowns could set us back weeks depending on how catastrophic they are.

hort101 likes this.
  4. McFarland_Lawn_Care

went with Deere...got a good deal on extended warranty as well.

5. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

We go through Nortrax for our rentals, great little machines I'm sure you'll be more than happy with it. :drinkup:

6. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

How's everyone doing, around the halfway point of the season and things are really dry down here.

7. PeterFGL

PeterFGL LawnSite Member

Yes, things are getting really dry in Southern Maine as well. The irrigated properties are looking good though and able to be cut on a weekly basis... Red Thread disease is everywhere right now and is slowing things down .. I have probably went through 5-10 bottles of lysol so far spraying equipment down. Things are starting to get manageable as the first half the season was extremely busy and it was a little crazy at times.

8. PeterFGL

PeterFGL LawnSite Member

McFarland, I have been running the Gravely Pro Stance since 2016 and it is a love / hate relationship. Some days I am glad I have it others I can't stand it. I seem to have gotten it to stripe nicely but I don't think the discharge of the grass on it is that good. It seems to discharge grass towards the front and I have been having a lot of clumping because of it. It is almost like it saves some grass under the deck and then decides to shoot it out all at once every so often. It was to the point where I contacted Gravely about it... How is yours holding up? It might be because grass has been growing pretty steadily down here and I am cutting a good chunk off every week. I am running gator G3's on it right now.

9. McFarland_Lawn_Care

So sorry for the delayed response folks. Yes, I think here we have actually missed every shower that they have forcasted. Been EXTREMELY dry and humid. Yup, red thread and every other disease has taken over a lot of them as well as getting calls for grub control etc....these hot summers are hard on everyone.

I personally haven't spent more than 1 hr on the Pro stance yet and overall I'd say that the design and performance is good....hard to beat the old Deere Quiktrak that we used in it's place before. BUT the ride is much better than the Deere. A LOT of cutting complaints come down to deck pitch and blades. I've had them come new from the factory all jacked up.....you gotta measure and check them over....the people who assemble them and set them up are idiots sometimes.

The lawn mowing is slowing down but landscaping is pretty steady overall and we also just ordered a hydroseeder so we'll be excited to get that up and running the end of this month.

10. McFarland_Lawn_Care

Finally getting some cooler temps and some rain....seeding season in full swing. How's everyone else looking? Lots of work coming in

hort101 likes this.