Maine

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by jonesy5149, Feb 19, 2011.

1. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

The box stores have really gone downhill in the last 6 or so years. The extreme turnover of managers, the non stop de-icing demands, and now dropping rates it's a no win. No wonder all of these places are having a hard time finding contractors.

2. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes....3rd party managing company spells disaster. They only care about bottom price and never safety or quality.

jrs.landscaping likes this.
  3. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

Everyone get their cleanups done?

4. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

Got a call from a buddy of mine, box store with 11 acres of pavement being plowed by a half ton with an 8' plow :dizzy::popcorn:

5. McFarland_Lawn_Care

yup....bigger the lot, bigger liability...rather do smaller resis....might be more difficult but you don't have to fights bids every season....first storm went ok. We got about 4.5" over here but at least the ground was frozen most places. One truck broke down and I went sideways 2 times on the same drive but only because I took on the worst ones and still had my summer rubbers on...hehe....ah well....one tail light out .....could be worse. We'll see what the other truck has wrong with it when we get her on the lift on Monday. Really hope this melts off ...only got about 6 or 8 leaf cleanups done!!! =O

6. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

We're lucky, we're only 3 or 4 days behind on cleanups, plow on my truck crapped out on my second round. Nothing major broken though, neither truck got stuck, so I'd say a successful first outing.

We're probably going to winterize summer gear this week, I don't see this snow going anywhere

7. McFarland_Lawn_Care

We're back on cleanups......and repairs...lol

8. McFarland_Lawn_Care

Finally finished putting up our salt sand this week - 85 yds...also did a few tree removal jobs and pulled some stumps as well....

9. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

Now that the ground is somewhat visible what's everyone's timetable on starting up?

Hoping to get rolling on cleaning up winter damage in a few weeks and be mowing by the 15th, but I say that pretty much every year and it rarely works out :hammerhead::laugh:

10. PeterFGL

PeterFGL LawnSite Member

Planning on starting April 1st. Snow is starting to melt but still have at least a week of melting needed. Last year I think I started April 16th.