Maine

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by jonesy5149, Feb 19, 2011.

1. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Yeah the emissions stuff is getting out of hand, what are you getting MPG wise?

We're seeing 11 with our 6.4 and around 14 with our 6.7

I read in another thread guys are seeing around 7.5 loaded with a gasser. We average around 20k miles per year (not including reverse while plowing lol)

So doing some rough math and a life cycle of 10 years it's a fuel difference of almost 37k in fuel. This was the main reason we switched our mower fleet over in 2011.

Maybe my math is a little fuzzy but if it's even close that is a huge cost savings.

2. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, it depends on the truck but anywhere around 8-10mpg I would say on average. Some are pulling mowing trailers most of the time and plowing in the winter. I honestly haven't had time to look too hard at mpg per truck. We put around 12k per year per truck.

3. McFarland_Lawn_Care

I will say I get around 17 with my diesel Fuso but they don't make that engine in that truck anymore or else I'd buy a couple right now.

hort101 likes this.
  4. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

Yeah those old fuso's were great, reliable and great on fuel.

Just weighing pros and cons right now, I'll most likely bite the bullet and get the diesel. Probably a year or so out so I've got some time to mull it over. Thanks for the reply :drinkup:

5. beaureguard

beaureguard LawnSite Member

I have an 18 F250 with a 6.2 that I use to haul 4000lbs from spring rite through fall and I average 11.4 mpg. Years ago I had someone tell me he figured he had to drive 150,000 miles before he figured he broke even with the added expense of his diesel truck.

McFarland_Lawn_Care and hort101 like this.
  6. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

That sounds a lot better, I'm probably pulling around the same 70% of the time. It's that 30% where I'm towing 15k with a dump trailer when I need that extra power to help with my cycle times moving material and also with the MPG aspect.

That's the problem I'm trying to solve, thanks again guys for the input. 8-11 MPG is a lot better range than what I was reading in other threads.

We had a loaner last year that had the 6.2 and it was an absolute dog, couldn't get out of it's own way. Problem was you could tell that she had a rough life and that may have been a major factor in it.

hort101 likes this.
  7. McFarland_Lawn_Care

Rear ratio also plays a BIG part....it's not all engine.

8. McFarland_Lawn_Care

Also fwiw, an f250 pickup is going to do a lot better than a one ton dump with same engine.

9. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

Great points, I like the idea of 3.73 rears due to the high amount of mileage we put on. We had a truck years ago with 4.10's, would pull down a house but you get on the pike and 65 was all she wanted. That is definitely something else to consider though.

Right now I'm thinking 350 extended cab SRW with an aluminum flatbed.

Anyone know if the engine brake an option with the 6.2's?

10. McFarland_Lawn_Care

The other part of the puzzle is prices and availability. Just because you get better mpg with a diesel doesn't mean anything unless you factor in the actual expense. For example....if you get 9 mpg with gas and 14 mpg with a diesel, and SAY the prices are close to 2.50 gas and 3.75 for diesel then it's a wash ....you aren't saving a thing. Just lots of things to consider that MOST people don't figure up when comparing the two. MPG only means so much. Then if you are in a local area, not all little stations have diesel so you might have to go further out of your way to fuel up, if you have employees fuel up, this extra time ALSO increases your cost. Just food for thought.

hort101 likes this.