Maine

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by jonesy5149, Feb 19, 2011.

1. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

.....I know those prices of fuel are exaggerated, but was using round numbers for easy of comparison....haha....I think it's closer to $ 0.50 difference per gallon right now.

2. McFarland_Lawn_Care

Plus don't forget to add in that you have to fill up with DEF every few tanks. It's just not looking beneficial in the big picture to us, that's why we have mostly gas.

3. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Availability isn't really an issue, if it did become one I would go back to buying bulk on road like we do with our off road fuel.

Pricing is a good point, usually hovers around 40 cents of each other, but I haven't really considered the added cost of DEF which should be factored in.

Another question I have, we had to switch to high test in our handhelds and stander because they would run like garbage otherwise. Is that the same with trucks, or do you guys just run regular in them?

4. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

Just saw your other posts LOL

5. McFarland_Lawn_Care

regular in trucks and non-eth in everything else.

6. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

After a lot of thought decided to stick with the diesel. Thanks to everyone for the input. In the end couldn't pass up the deal on the diesel which really sealed it for me.

[​IMG]

hort101 likes this.
  7. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Gold Member

Historically you don't see a high percentage of oil burner heavy duty trucks in Maine. It may be that you really need to be able to use the truck consistently for work in decent profit margin work to justify the cost or that people just can't afford the extra nearly 10K that it ads to the sticker.

I'm in the Austin area of Texas now and it's the opposite here where probably over 90% of the HD trucks are Diesel. My crew pulls a 16' enclosed trailer mostly but occasionally a trailer with four pallets of mulch so no gas trucks here. I use a 13' Ram 2500 for my crew and I have a 17' Ram 3500. I pull a 20' dump trailer that weighs 30,000 for lawn top dressing.

Even my car is a Diesel because I want 41 mpg but great torque. Does anyone know if Maine is strict on making it difficult to so DPF deletes. I deleted my prior 09' Ram at 18k miles and will be deleting my 13' when it hits 100k miles this year.

8. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

We don't have emissions testing is that's what you mean.

I'm in the same position, I mostly tow a 16' utility trailer but probably once a week I'll have the dump trailer, or equipment trailer hauling 16k.

Figure that with my 100 gallon skid tank and tools I carry on my truck I like the extra power. I think if we had a larger fleet the gas would make more sense to tow the mowing trailer but it's tough when thinking of it as a "do-all" truck.

Then in the winter it has the skid tank, tools, and generally a ton and a half of salt along with the plow, so the extra torque is nice to have.

hort101 likes this.
  9. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Gold Member

Are any of you running air bags. I have the Pacbrake air bags on both my trucks. When hauling heavy they prevent sagging and make the truck handle better. The truck and trailer don't inch worm up and down in the middle when you speed up or slow down.

10. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

Was thinking about adding timbrens, but I like the idea of bags, have you had any problems with them?