Maine

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by jonesy5149, Feb 19, 2011.

1. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Gold Member

They have a lifetime warranty. I had a heat shield put a hole in a bag on my last truck and they sent me a new one without making me send the old one back.

I had Firestone on my 02' Ram many years ago and back then most bags went on the leaf springs and I kept breaking the bolts. All bags are now on the axle and not on the leaf springs which is a lot better.

I think it was airbagit.com who had an ad in a Diesel Power years ago and I tried their bags and it was a disaster. Don't ever buy anything from them.

hort101 likes this.
  2. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Awesome, I'll have to look into them :drinkup:

hort101 likes this.
  3. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

What you get for a deal? Now I'm curious...maybe I'll look at one next year instead of the gas job I was planning on.

4. PlantscapeSolutions

My advice on buying is never set foot in any dealer to bargain. Find the truck you want at a dozen dealers online. Tell them you have financing in place but will use theirs if they have an equal or better rate but don't tell them your rate. Do not ever trade in a truck because that just screws up the deal.

Also don't make an offer on the truck. Tell the sales guy your talking to multiple places so there is more pressure on them to throw out a better offer. Let them know you buying a truck in the next week and are a serious qualified buyer not looking to waste time.

Normally the best deals are in the September to November time on last year's model. By December it can be slim pickings.

You may also have to look harder to find the truck you want since dealers in ME or MA don't stock lots of oil burners to begin with.

Also watch for dealers adds (add on items to bloat the MSRP). This old crusty gimmick isn't used as much any more but some still add a pin stripe, crappy drop in bed liner, cloth treatment, security etched glass, mud flaps or other stuff that cost them hundreds. Then they blow up the MSRP by 4k but discount by 3K as though they are doing you a favor.

Always ask what the clean MSRP is and if there are any dealer adds tacked on. I've had two trucks delivered from 200 miles away. Never set foot in the dealership or surprisingly never even signed anything in advance. Over the internet and then phone deal sealed on trust. About 11k off MSRP on a 13' 2500 4x2 and 17' 3500 4x4 are my last two deals.

I'm a Ram Cummins fan. My 3500 has the Aisin trans which is mostly found in the 4500 and 5500. It's Aisin is pretty hard to find in the 3500 and can be special ordered in the 2500 but that will screw up a deal. The standard 68RFE trans works well and is reliable but if you tow north of 20k the Aisin is a step up.

If you can get the work grade vinyl seats they don't get stained like cloth or required seat covers. They look like leather and not old school cheap vinyl. Super easy to keep clean and ideal for a work truck or every day driver. Cloth is a deal breaker for me.

hort101 likes this.
  5. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

Around 56 k with a 9'6 XV2

Most other dealers were mid 60's before adding the plow for a similar truck.

Plus it's an extended cab with an 8' bed which aren't the easiest trucks to find. Could've probably found one cheaper if I were willing to settle with either the regular cab, or extended with the 6' bed. Which wan't really an option.

Was honestly hoping to spec out and order one in the Spring but the rough condition of my current truck kind of sped up the timeline for its replacement.

hort101 likes this.
  6. McFarland_Lawn_Care

Oh yes, I know the right way to buy trucks, Plantscape. My brother was a saleman for many years. I always buy under invoice and there's no hassle - show up sign papers and away I go - in the dealership for 15 min at most and often never test drive. The deal is agreed over the phone after I talk to many different people.

Chris, I wish I could get that price with a dump body! =D Then I'd be sold lol

jrs.landscaping and hort101 like this.
  7. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

Yeah those upfit costs are ridiculous. Plan is to put a flatbed on it next fall, was hoping on doing it right off until I started looking at prices :eek::cry:

8. PlantscapeSolutions

My 17' Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab long bed was 61k MSRP and 49k and change delivered. There are trucks now in the 95k range loaded to the hilt and worth 70k is you tried to sell it the next day.

When the new updated I guess 17' Ford came out it was selling for pretty much list price for the upper trim levels here in Texas. Lots of oil money, contractors doing well, or ranchers with money to burn. I helped my friend get about 3-4 k off his 70kish F250 truck and that was the best deal around.

9. PlantscapeSolutions

I'd be interested to know you target markets and your services. I'm from Augusta originally and you could be a genius there and work yourself to death and probably never even make 100k a year in the landscape trade.

I know probably Freeport down to Kennebunkport in the southern part of the state is probably the best place to be. More growth and higher paying jobs.

I do higher residential end landscape lighting, holiday lighting, lawn top dressing, fertilization/insect control, and landscape maintenance in the Austin area.

Most of my residential landscape care clients spend $400- $2000 a month. Does that price range even exist on the higher end in any numbers in Maine.

I know there some of the nice lake houses can now be in the 500k to 1 mil range and some of the costal vacation homes can be several mil.

Boothbay has some crazy homes with helipads that were for sale for around 3-8 mil but outside of that area you were going to drive a ways to find more high end work in numbers in that area.

10. McFarland_Lawn_Care

Oh ya, I know it! Often better doing it yourself....pretty simple really. Maybe a little welding and wiring and you're all set!!