• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Maintenance and cut quality on toro Grandstand

plc2005

LawnSite Member
Hey guys need some info on the Toro Grandstand. How easy is it to access the bottom of the deck for cleanouts or changing blades? Also anyone try the mulch kits on the 36-40 inch decks? I currently run walker mowers and love the cut but I was curious if the toro was as good and clean with the mulch kit? Im guessing its a pipe dream to completely eliminate baggin but it would be nice to minimize it.

T.Brandon

LawnSite Senior Member
Bump! I want a little info on a grandstand I am thinking about buying a 36''

pkra12

LawnSite Member
The cut is very similar to an exmark being that they are owned by the same company. It stripes great and with the adjustable baffle it chops up the clippings a great deal...i wouldn't even opt for the mulching quit. All ztr's are hard to clean on the fly unless the deck pops up....2010 grandstands are even better than 09's..wish i would have waited a year.

yardguy28

LawnSite Platinum Member
The cut is very similar to an exmark being that they are owned by the same company. It stripes great and with the adjustable baffle it chops up the clippings a great deal...i wouldn't even opt for the mulching quit. All ztr's are hard to clean on the fly unless the deck pops up....2010 grandstands are even better than 09's..wish i would have waited a year.
curious, i'm a 2009 toro grandstand owner. what makes the 2010's better.

i've seen pics and spec's. the 48" and 52" deck models look the same as the 09's. i know the new deck sizes have made some changes to the overall mower but i wouldn't say they are necessarly better.

to answer the dudes question though i find them as easy to change the blades and clean out the deck as a walkbehind. just stick a jack on the front end and jack it up. it might not be the most comfortable and easiest thing to do but it's part of being a lawn guy.

pkra12

LawnSite Member
yardguy, not 100% certain but i heard 2010 has the engine independent from the deck which would take a ton of stress of the machine. and in pictures i saw it looks like the deck is suspended with chains making it a true floating deck, maybe i'm wrong but still happy with '09 eitherway

yardguy28

LawnSite Platinum Member
yardguy, not 100% certain but i heard 2010 has the engine independent from the deck which would take a ton of stress of the machine. and in pictures i saw it looks like the deck is suspended with chains making it a true floating deck, maybe i'm wrong but still happy with '09 eitherway
yeah i noticed the new smaller one's are being built that way but the pic's and spec's i saw on the 2010 52's still looked exactly like the 09's.

i personally would have liked for mine to have a floating deck rather than fixed but some of the other features this mower has out weighed that for me.

i need to be able to adjust deck heights as quick as possible and with this mower i can definitly do that since the lever is right on the "dash". with my old exmark tthp i was dealing with those 4 pins and spacers.

i also absolutely LOVE the quality of cut. so much better than my exmark tthp was or even the exmark metro i have now. and since it even beats my metro which has a fixed deck i can't say the better cut is due to the fixed deck (my exmark tthp was a floating deck).

for me this mower is the best stander i've seen on the market. i may not have tested every stander but i've tested the most popular and this one by far out weighs the others for me.

mowerbrad

LawnSite Fanatic
I can't speak for the Grandstand itself, but I can speak for the Turbo Force deck. The deck cuts great, spreads the clippings out very well. The adjustable baffle is a very nice feature so you can basically adjust the deck to the specific type of property you are cutting at the time. The only thing I couldn't get out of the turbo force were defined stripes, I just couldn't get it to stripe well. They were all very faint, while with most other mowers I can get pretty good stripes out of. Otherwise its a great deck!!!

brucec32

LawnSite Platinum Member
Unfortunately not the case, I asked over at the toro forum.

Bob_n_weave

LawnSite Senior Member
Hey guys need some info on the Toro Grandstand. How easy is it to access the bottom of the deck for cleanouts or changing blades? Also anyone try the mulch kits on the 36-40 inch decks? I currently run walker mowers and love the cut but I was curious if the toro was as good and clean with the mulch kit? Im guessing its a pipe dream to completely eliminate baggin but it would be nice to minimize it.

It's easy, just buy one of those yellow Jungle Jim jacks and your set.

No bagging needed with Grandstand and I do not have a mulch kit, gator blades yes. If your cutting overgrown yards may have to use blower a little.
Clean as a Walker ? No. But bagging is a PITA, even with a Walker.