Maintenance Contracts

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Tifway, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Tifway

Tifway LawnSite Member

I’m curious how many of you guys have clients in yearly contracts and how many go by a week-monthly basis.

Thoughts on one vs the other?

2. AL's

AL's LawnSite Bronze Member

Subbing cuz I wanna know too.

Seriously considering contracts (meaning cancellation fee. I already have a service agreement but no cancellation fee) for all mow only new sign ups in 2019. Too many start and stops this year.

Having them sign off on cancellation fees will at least have the start and stops thinking twice or will keep them from signing up at all.... even if I dont enforce the fee it sends the message. Clients that arnt serious about using a service less likely to agree to it.

3. MNLawns

MNLawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from MN

watching

4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Week to week is for establishing yourself

Contracts are for when you’ve “made it” and you need to weed out the drain on your newfound efficiency.

You need to offer something more than weekly mowing if contracts are your goal.

5. OP
    OP
    Tifway

Tifway LawnSite Member

Care to elaborate?
    You referring to shrub-tree work, Lawn Apps.. etc?

6. TPendagast

Male

Elaborate what?

What to do more than mowing?

There are too many contractors out there dying to throw pay as you mow service at you.
    Literally no reason to go/stick with a company that only offers mowing but what’s to sink you into a contract.

If you want to get exclusive and weed out bottom feeders (because you feel you’re over the “trying to make it hump”)
    Then you need to offer more exclusive services

What that is, how you diversify, is up to you... I’m simply saying good luck trying to be a snobbish “mow n go” company.

IMO
    Full service landscape maintenance
    Try to sell as Much as you can to as few people as you can.
    Replace mow only customers with customers that buy more services, enhancements, upgrades.
    Constantly work on and improve your customer portfolio.

hort101 likes this.
  7. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Chicago

This has been my plan since day one.

I have 2 contracts full service lawn/gardening and the other adds snow removal. I don't do snow only accounts.

I do have a few clients that are more basic mow and blow but they have been grandfathered in.

8. OP
    OP
    Tifway

Tifway LawnSite Member

I figured that’s what you were going to say, but I wasn’t completely sure. I absolutely hate day-to-day mowing and once I get established I’m either subbing out or hiring a crew for that.
    Soft-scape installs, lawns apps and ornamental shrub/tree apps are what have been peaking my curiosity as of late.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify, I do appreciate it

9. Kenny241

Kenny241 LawnSite Member

I mostly have weekly and biweekly residential accounts where I mow, but a lot of them I sell services such as mulching, pine needles, shrub trimming, gutter cleaning, landscape designs, seeding, junk removal, etc.. Interested in getting some yearly contracts to be getting paid throughout the winter. What is the best method of finding out where to bid and get these contracts? Is there a certain website you guys use?

10. TPendagast

Male

Have you tried directly upselling them?