Maintenance for DOT?

Mikegyver

LawnSite Bronze Member
While at Irrigation class last night i talked to a fellow LCO (he actually is a foreman for a company) and got to talking about bidding on DOT maintenance. Basically its maintaining all of the offices, roadside stops, etc. He said at the roadside stops you have to wipe tables and haul off trash 3 or so times a week AND mowing every so often. He said its very profitable and they pay well (one district in my area ran in the 6 figures for one year).
This would be a great way for me to add another crew and start making some extra income. What are y'alls thoughts? Is it worth it? He said now is the time to get in there and get the bid packet...I seriously am thinking about bidding a district.
Mike

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
in a similar story i've heard since cities are so close or on their way to bankruptcy are going to be laying off the city workers and hiring guys like us to take care of the grass throughout the city. some areas of the country already do this but where i live the cities all have their own workers and always have. if they let them go they no longer have the expense of healthcare, salary, etc. they can just pay people like us for the work done.

OP
M

Mikegyver

LawnSite Bronze Member

Kelly's Landscaping

LawnSite Platinum Member
They don't do that in my area yet but hopefully they will some day. At first glance many would foolishly think were the same price as having the state or city employees do it or perhaps more. But when you take into effect we won't be getting life time pensions at 70-90% of our salaries it becomes clear its smart to bid out as much of this work as they can.