1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

make enough during summer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, May 29, 2002.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys....I know things like this have been posted so many times, but I just wanna ask one question and you could just give one simple yes or no answer if you like and I'd be happy:

How many here actually make enough to not have to work at all during the winter and also support a family? If so, does your spouse work or not? Do you have to be catious w/ the money or not to achieve this? I am only curious....this is not my plan of action ( I plan on working in the winter as well), nor do I want to know any numbers ($$$) or specifics. And let's not mention or worry about the fact that location is a big variable, because I know it is, there's no way around that. Merely a curiousity question.

2. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

No, wish I did.

3. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

:D:D:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

4. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

we do, but only because of several year round contracts. the wife ? she is a fulltime landscaper also.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

My wife works year-round and no, I don't have to work in the winter.

6. My wife works at home. I figure she improves our lifestyle more at home than she could at a work-a-day job. We don't eat instant potatoes etc. Plus she painted the shop this summer. She's also the accountant for the business.

I used to work winters, HVAC service or peddle freight for R&L Carriers. I figured out I was wasting my time when I could make in a day mowing than what someone would pay me for a weeks labor.
    I work in the winter, just now it's for the mowing business. I repair, repaint equipment. Do off season projects for customers like install landscape stone, core aerate & topdress. I do these other projects at a steeply discounted rate just to lock me in with that customer. I make my money in the summer, mowing grass. Memorial day was my first day off in two months. And what did I do? Cut my own lawn! :D

Dave

7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

No, year round accounts spread it too thin. Gave up a lot of "per cut" accounts to concentrate on the annuals.......so.....cash flow decreased. If I were really handy with a dollar then I probably could get by.......but I ain't.........so I couldn't.

Too much debt:mad:

Oh, I'm sorry, you only wanted one word.

NO!

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

not even close

9. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

No. Need an excuse to get out of the house and away from the misses for a while in the winter.

LAWNS AND MOWER

10. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

I make the same during the dormant months as I do in the summer. CONTRACT!!
    Hit our customers once or twice a month from Oct. thru May. Weekly otherwise.
    PLENTY of time off for me!:D :D
    I call it a retainer fee!