Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to start a thread on spring vs summer and the time you can save when the grass growth is not so heavy.

Is anyone saving alot of time now that the rain has let up?? I didn't think it was possible to shave much time off my props but I am cutting my times by 30-50 % in some cases. It seems like I am saving the time on props cut with WB, and the ZTR cut props are staying about the same.

Anyone have similar experiences?

Jimbo

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The strange thing is I can see cutting your time in half if you were double cutting but I wasn't doing that. I guess the time savings for me is less bagging, trimming, edging, and blowing. It still seems impossible to me to cut a 2 hour prop (in spring) down to 1 hour in the summer, but thats what has happened for me.
I would like to take on some new props to fill my new found time, but I fear I will have to let some go next spring or I wont be able to get it all done.

·
Banned
2,382 Posts
It's like Richard Martin said, still spring like here too.
Some customers should go back on a 5 day schedule instead of 7.
The lawns are a little bit thinner, but still just as tall.
I've never seen an August like this and I've been full time for nearly 20 years. This is going to be my best season ever!
Dave

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
These are supposed to be the "dog days" of summer. Yeah right. It rains here almost every day. Spring growth conditions and then some. I cut at 3.5 and 7 days later it looks like I haven't cut in 2 weeks. I'm afraid to lower the cut because I don't know if/when the rain will just stop and if/when the grass will go into dormancy. I could have been doing a lot of seeding if I had known the rains would be like they have been. Anyone know where I can get a good crystal ball? BTW, I'm not complaining. It's SOOOOO much better than last year, remember last year?

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Before last week I would have agreed as the summer heat usually takes hold and the 50%SCU is just waiting for some fall moisture. But NOOOO not this year. 6 inches of rain in one week. 60 degree nights and 80 degree days. To tell you the truth it is growing as fast as it was in the spring.
I usually have put a few lawns on 12-14 days by this time. I have only skipped one about 2 weeks ago.

I was really liking it, getting done by 11:30 instead of 2:30 and cutting all of them because the light growth has to be evened out.
Now its full out, change your blades every day mowing again. What the heck, it brings in the cash.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am starting to eat my words. The cool nights and dampness this past week are starting to make the grass grow again. Its no where near like springtime but definately needs cut every 5 days.
Still making good time though!!

Jimbo

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Normally, we see a 20% or so time savings factor in the summer, however this year w/ all of the rain, not a chance. Its not taking as much time as the super growth weeks, but its not as fast as most drought like summers we have had recently either.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.