1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

making lawn maintenance companies be liscensed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by touhey33, Mar 26, 2009.

  1. touhey33

    touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 778

    I was thinking the other day, that I wish you had to be liscensed to have a lawn maintenance business. I know you have to be liscensed for herbicides and pesticides, but it would be nice for anyone in this business to have to apply for a liscense for mowing and general maintenance.
  2. JB1

    JB1 LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,904

  3. mowerbrad

    mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,268

    I think as long as you are paying your taxes and have commercial insurance, then you are fine. Would you have to take a test to get the license? Most of the reason behind having to have the license for pesticides/fert is so that it is mixed, applied, disposed, and handled properly and safely.
  4. luis@NJ

    luis@NJ LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 291

    I believe in my state they are trying to do that. I hope they dont because by the time im 18 and get all the paperwork and stuff i wont meet the requirements. UGHHhh lol
  5. Jersey Shore Landscaping

    Jersey Shore Landscaping LawnSite Member
    Messages: 131

    in nj we have a general contractor license its like 150 a year and all you have to do is show proof of insurance and tax certificat and post your number on the trucks makes it easy to see who isnt insured. the problem is the state dont nothing to inforce it
  6. Whitey4

    Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,448

    In my county... $450 gets you a consumer affairs license. Without it, you are illegal and your trucks and equipment are subject to siezure.
  7. david shumaker

    david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 721

    Anyone who is self-employed does have to have a business license, pay gross receipt taxes, etc. There are different categories of licenses, but you are suppose to have a license.
  8. ed2hess

    ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 14,456

    Short answer is NO and NO!
  9. jeffex

    jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,933

    The home improvement test to be licensed in MD has no specific questions about trade skills. It is all about contract law and making sure you know how to pay the state. One of the many reasons I love this business is it is truly a free market supply and demand business. We are in a tough enough economic time that any barrier to entry to starting a business is wrong IMO. If your goal is to possibly weed out lowballers and those without knowledge I don't see any government agency capable of that . They just attach a fee and add to the operating cost of business. If you want to compete with lowballers step up your game . Be careful of wishing for the gov. to solve your problems. Once you create the lawn business police and they prevent new start ups they will come after YOU because of some new made up regulation they enacted to milk more money out of YOU. Insurance and maybe a business lisc. OK but "gubbamint" is a business killer NOT a business maker. No socialist please ! I have seen many posts over the years just like this one. There ore those that "get in" and want to keep others out. They want some rule, regulation, or agency to protect them from competition. I must say it is a natural human condition. Like people who move out of one neighborhood because it went down hill and they move to another area. They then try and re-create the same socialist environment in the new neighborhood and low and behold it goes down hill too. Jeeze...maybe their socialist mentality is the reason things go bad , not the neighborhood! stand your own ground and COMPETE with service, smart business practices ,and ingenuity and you'll not need the "gubbamint" to save you !
  10. touhey33

    touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 778

    Im insured, pay taxes, my business name is registred, I just wish that companies were required to have a licenes which shows you are legit, maybe have a certificate. To get the license you would have to pay a small annual fee, provide proof of insurance, etc... That way not every one and their mom could start up without going through those procedures.

Share This Page