Makita 21" mower Feedback

LantzScapes

LawnSite Member
I bought the same mower last year. I couldn’t get past the way the self propelled was so delayed once engaged and took so much time to ramp up speed. I liked everything else about the mower I hope they fix a few things then I will be a full battery operation.

Turf Tracer

LawnSite Fanatic
May work great on your own yard but unless you plan on carrying bunch of eXtra batts, which would cost you the price of another mower, they useless for most commercial applications.

Only reason I still run batt trimmers is I got a crazy discount on batts due to a discontinuation of the model.

LantzScapes

LawnSite Member
I agree it would not work well for commercial or big lot properties. But with maybe one extra set of batteries I think it would work quite well for a solo guy doing smaller residential properties.

OP
E

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
I bought the same mower last year. I couldn’t get past the way the self propelled was so delayed once engaged and took so much time to ramp up speed. I liked everything else about the mower I hope they fix a few things then I will be a full battery operation.
Actually that slow start is a feature they put in so it isn't "jerky". Great for an old guy. The unit didn't mulch leaves very good but maybe I needed to lower it.

OP
E

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
I agree it would not work well for commercial or big lot properties. But with maybe one extra set of batteries I think it would work quite well for a solo guy doing smaller residential properties.
If we find it is strong enough we are putting it on the trailer when we need it for a couple yards.

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Bronze Member
May work great on your own yard but unless you plan on carrying bunch of eXtra batts, which would cost you the price of another mower, they useless for most commercial applications.

Only reason I still run batt trimmers is I got a crazy discount on batts due to a discontinuation of the model.
I have a single 4ah battery for my powerhead and I installed a 120v inverter in my car and fast charger plugged in. I tear around all day with a full battery. I think I could run something like that new ego 42” off the 4 included batteries, maybe two extra, if people had more faith in the deck. On a super tight route with a helper, maybe an additional set of 4 batteries because there would be less time for charging while I edged. I’m prepared to be wrong here but a good inverter and fast charging has a good chance of easily working well.

Last edited:

LantzScapes

LawnSite Member
I have a single 4ah battery for my powerhead and I installed a 120v inverter in my car and fast charger plugged in. I tear around all day with a full battery. I think I could run something like that new ego 42” off the 4 included batteries, maybe two extra, if people had more faith in the deck. On a super tight route with a helper, maybe an additional set of 4 batteries because there would be less time for charging while I edged. I’m prepared to be wrong here but a good inverter and fast charging has a good chance of easily working well.
I do the same thing right now I’m running makita hedge/string trimmers and blower. I keep one extra set of batteries for each tool and charge between jobs and it’s working really well.

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Bronze Member
I have a thread about how realistic it would be to run the new ego 42”. Every response was unproven deck, ruggedness and such. I posted a video of someone putting one through hell and back and it seemed to perform well. Overall it was too much of a gamble, but I’m almost certain I could have easily pulled off the powering and mowed all day with minimal batteries.