1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Makita 5402NA...anyone own one?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by LB1234, Jan 25, 2007.

1. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

We do a bunch of work every year with PT 6x6's. Weather its decorative landscape walls, edging a playground, or framing a parking pad.

Currently we cut them buy flipping the 6x6 over and over and cut it with our ciruclar saw. this gets to be a PITA...especially dealing with 16 footers and longer. Kinda heavy.

Anyway I found a saw that will cut these 6x6 in one pass...its a Makita 5402NA with a 16-1/4" blade that will cut up to 6" in one pass. Since 6x6 are 5.5x5.5". I'm thinking this will save a lot of labor when cutting and fitting these pieces.

Anyone have any experience with this power tool or anything similar?

2. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a chainsaw.

3. LB1234

I've tried that. Problem I have is when meeting up/butting against other 6x6s. Its tough to get a nice fit with the chainsaw due to the width of the blade and difficulty cutting at a true 90 degree angle. Its fine for deadman and and their cross pieces.

Its probably me not having a steady hand with the chainsaw. Perhaps a little more practice.

Thank you. :waving:

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

the rental store here had one.. all of our new beach homes have to be raised, so most are built on 12X12's

a pass on each side will cut one, and they are great for notching the posts.

5. LB1234

thanks yardpro.

The model I described is around 600 new. I emailed an online store that claims they sell refurbished models for about 450 if I remember correctly. I would like to rent it first...I never thought of that for a hand tool. Thanks for the tip.

6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

now that you have reminded me of this saw, i have been wondering if you could get a diamond blade and use it to cut top caps, etc....

7. LB1234

I know its a 1" arbor I forget what the arbor is on the whacker cut-off saw. I don't know if I trust the life of this saw with all that extra dust. The cutoff saws at least have the added protection of air filters....but I know sometime it can be a pain to do straight 90 degree cuts.

Interesting thought though...not sure if the motor would have enough torque to cut spin the weight of a diamond blade through concrete.