Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i had my trimmer and blower on the parking of the lawn and went to get the truck to pull up and load them up and some guy stopped and gave them a look and i had to pull up next to him and tell him they were mine he didnt really understand what i met by it and asked has no one claimed them yet i told him no i still use them then he got it, but if he had came and just got out i would of ended up loseing about $450.00 worth of equitment.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Today i had my trimmer and blower on the parking of the lawn and went to get the truck to pull up and load them up and some guy stopped and gave them a look and i had to pull up next to him and tell him they were mine he didnt really understand what i met by it and asked has no one claimed them yet i told him no i still use them then he got it, but if he had came and just got out i would of ended up loseing about $450.00 worth of equitment.
what? you mean you stole some equipment before someone else was able to? :dizzy:

·
Registered
244 Posts
being solo, you really NEED to keep everything under lock and key. I do.
Couldn't agree more...It only takes seconds for a car to stop and someone to snatch a piece of your equipment. The constant locking and unlocking gets old, but I've never lost a piece yet so I consider it a necessary evil. *trucewhiteflag*

·
Registered
15,214 Posts
Am I doing something wrong? In 25 years, I never end up with equipment laying around by curbs. If I HAD these pieces setting there like that,...I would have put the blower on, and grabbed the trimmer - same as I do with the hedge trimmer and blower, and take it to the truck, since I was headed that way anyway.

·
Registered
15,224 Posts
Am I doing something wrong? In 25 years, I never end up with equipment laying around by curbs. If I HAD these pieces setting there like that,...I would have put the blower on, and grabbed the trimmer - same as I do with the hedge trimmer and blower, and take it to the truck, since I was headed that way anyway.
Ain't that the truth.

I too am a little paranoid about someone making off with my equipment especially the expensive stuff. The fact that someone can just use any mower key to take off with my mowers prompted me to add a second key switch. The new switch uses an actual key that some one is not likely to have. A determined thief can steal anything but the new switches makes it impossible to just walk up and take off with my mowers.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Ain't that the truth.

I too am a little paranoid about someone making off with my equipment especially the expensive stuff. The fact that someone can just use any mower key to take off with my mowers prompted me to add a second key switch. The new switch uses an actual key that some one is not likely to have. A determined thief can steal anything but the new switches makes it impossible to just walk up and take off with my mowers.
i'll never understand why they dont individually key each mower. its like going to your local car dealer and using your key to start all of the cars there. just doesnt make any sense.

·
Registered
330 Posts
i'll never understand why they dont individually key each mower.
Cost, convenience. If the manufacturer would make each mower individually keyed, then it would cost loads more money and they would have to make sure that the right key stayed with that mower all the way from the time the ignition is installed until it gets to the consumer. With the universal ignition key they mass produce hundreds/thousands of keys and ignitions for a fraction of cost, and only have to make sure the customer gets A key not a particular key.

As far as equipment goes, that was a valuable lesson almost learned. Why would you leave equipment in the yard to go get the truck? That is asking someone to take it. I have a rule that if it is not being used it is on the trailer (locked).

·
Registered
15,224 Posts
i'll never understand why they dont individually key each mower. its like going to your local car dealer and using your key to start all of the cars there. just doesnt make any sense.
They don't want to have to spend the 2 dollars more a real switch would cost. Simple individually keyed ignition switches like these are dirt cheap. I got 2 switches shipped to my house for under 20 bucks including shipping.

·
Banned
7,474 Posts
They don't want to have to spend the 2 dollars more a real switch would cost. Simple individually keyed ignition switches like these are dirt cheap. I got 2 switches shipped to my house for under 20 bucks including shipping.
Yep, the manufacturers should use them as well. It wouldn't be any harder to keep track of the keys then it would keeping track of A key. They do it with autos.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.