1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Manifold Advice

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by phareous, Aug 4, 2008.

1. phareous

phareous LawnSite Member

I'm a homeowner looking to build my own manifold. I've read most of the posts on here and everyone has an opinion on how to do it. Since all of you have a lot of experience in this area, can you provide any advice on how I should do it? I've read to use female-threaded valves and not have any female fittings on the manifold itself. Also I've read I should use unions to make it easier to disassemble to repair (where should I put the unions - just on the input/ouput of each valve?). And I know I need to not make it too compact (I see the Boots manifold picture posted a lot). Thanks in advance for any help

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: yes! yes! yes!!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Naysayers!! :) Compact manifolds can be a mixed bag. Mine can be serviced. I see that Rainbird is offering a version of their DV-series valve with a female-threaded-union inlet and outlet.

4. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

Tried one of those last week, had trouble with unions leaking, cut it out and went to straight PVC. No leaks.

5. Wet_Boots

It probably depends on O-rings and some consistency on the male threads on the manifolds. The latter might be too much to hope for. It does seem like the union-type manifolds have a better shot, because the MPT valve inlets are probably more consistent.

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Typically I build my manifolds out of SCH80 pipe & tees with SCH80 toe nipples or male adapters into the valves, with a SCH80 union on mainline. You don't necessarily have to use SCH80, I do for durability except when using crosses (cost) and on throw away fittings.

If the valve box is large enough, I might consider using unions on the downstream piping to facilitate valve replacement. Unions on the downstream piping are easier to fit into a valve box when you use angle valves.

DSCN2721a.jpg

DSCN2660a.jpg

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Nice clean manifolds, Kiril. :clapping:

8. Wet_Boots

Bricks?!! :dizzy:

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Yes ... those manifolds are close to 18" deep. Have any other suggestions without leaving a tripping hazard on the surface or burying the box?

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I've done it the same way, though the unions are a moot point without
    having them on the lateral side.