Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
59,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Real men use deep valve boxes. Valves will have about a half-foot of empty space beneath them, for water to drain away when making repairs. There is sufficient clearance to unthread a valve body. (with the bonnet removed) - manifold construction is sch 40 PVC with sch 80 toe nipples. No female threads on manifold.

Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Grass Automotive exterior

Automotive lighting Gas Auto part Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
14,016 Posts
#1 - still no drain in the box. I prefer a drain in there
#2 - why go around the back of the box with that cheesy 3/4" (looks 3/4" anyway) main and around the left, as opposed to elbowing down and in through the right?
#3 - sigh...... no more, I'm done

·
Registered
59,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
#1 - this isn't Colorado, so there are no unexpected freezes, and there is no water in the system after winterizing. The deep box might have some thermal benefit, though.

#2 - it's a (and you should know this without being told) system rework, the manifold was moved from another location. Very low flow and pressure. 50+ psi with an RPZ

·
Registered
14,016 Posts
#1 - this isn't Colorado, so there are no unexpected freezes, and there is no water in the system after winterizing. The deep box might have some thermal benefit, though.

#2 - it's a (and you should know this without being told) system rework, the manifold was moved from another location. Very low flow and pressure. 50+ psi with an RPZ
It's not the "unexpected" freezes I worry about. It's the prolonged winter cold. No way a manifold that shallow is protected without draining or blowing out (and I know you do blow out). Either that or I don't realize how warm it is in NYC in the winter. I still think it should have a drain. Especially for the next person that owns it. Or even for draining when needing to do repair work.

·
Registered
59,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any system with an RPZ is pretty much pro-maintenance only. We extract the water, we lock down exterior drains and shutoffs. No water remains to freeze. A manifold drain serves no practical purpose.

There is no place for any kind of automatic drainage in my work. Mister homeowner doesn't want proper winterizing? Let it all be destroyed.

·
Registered
14,016 Posts
Any system with an RPZ is pretty much pro-maintenance only. We extract the water, we lock down exterior drains and shutoffs. No water remains to freeze. A manifold drain serves no practical purpose.

There is no place for any kind of automatic drainage in my work. Mister homeowner doesn't want proper winterizing? Let it all be destroyed.
We try to leave manifold drains open. Reason being, when that on/off handle decides to start seeping and fill the mainline and manifolds it has somewhere to drain. Or when little Johnny opens up the handle while playing in the utility room.

I don't advocate the auto drains either.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.