1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Mantis vs. Stihl MM55

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yacht, Aug 7, 2003.

1. yacht

yacht LawnSite Member

Has anyone had experience with either of these two pieces of equipment? Looks like the teeth will easily break on both of these units. Mantis offers a 2cycle engine or a Honda 4stroke any idea which is better?

My dealer price is $324 for the Mantis 2stroke, $389 for the Mantis with Honda 4stroke, and $369 for the Stihl MM55.

Any feedback is appreciated.

2. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

mantis without a doubt

3. letitgrow123

letitgrow123 LawnSite Member

Mantis is much easier to use. Lighter, less cumbersome. Plus, it's proven and has a VERY reliable Echo 21.2cc engine. I prefer the 2-cycle. More torque, slightly lighter. The Stihl has that 27cc "homescaper engine". Similiar technology to the homelite and Ryobi. Mantis also offers the "Easy Start" model. Takes almost NO effort.

4. I`d go stihl ... I have the the Stihl FS55 trimmer with the home scaper engine on it , and i don`t know where the hell you get you info but it in no ways compares to a ryobi, i blew 2 of them up in 3 weeks last year, doing the stuff my fs55 does every day, i`ve had it for about a year now. and it is tough a nails, and has super power, i`ve ran the echo 2100 s for a 3hours before, and the engine is crap compared to my stihl`s. i`d go with stihl forshure

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

These machines look like they'd be great for trim work up against things like drives, walks, and beds for slitseeding.

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Mantis.(If your talking about the tiller)
    Takes a licking and keeps on ticking.:p
    At least mine does,but is is an older model so I don't know about the newer ones. the blades bend occasionally but haven't had any break.

7. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a Mantis w/ a Honda last year. It does a great job. The Mantis has a lifetime warranty on their tines.

8. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

you cannot destroy a mantis, trust me!!!!!

9. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Mantis....Just bought one a few months ago with the Honda 4 stroke....has so many uses if you get a few attachments. The best $350 I have ever spent on any piece of equipment....and very lightweight. COmes with a video to show you the various uses it has