Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
If its synthetic I would think it would be fine. I was looking for an old manual I had for a chainsaw that I thought said not to use it. Guess it might vary form onemanufacturer to another. I always stuck with the Echo bottles, convienent.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I would not use marine 2cycle, it tends to put a black varnish on your piston and cylinder, probably because of the higher rpms in your handheld 2 cycle, stick with your commercial 2cycle brands it will save you a lot of $ in repairs.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
343 Posts
In many years working with two strokes I was always told to use an oil ceritfied specifically for aircooled engines. One tech guy explained that boat engines generally run much cooler due the constant flow of fresh cool water thru the jackets. Aircooled working engines run at a higher temp and need a different formulation of oil.

·
Registered
237 Posts
From What I Understand It Will Work But May End Up Ruining Your Carbs. Also The Boat 2 Stroke Isnt Engineered For The Same Rpm Or Heat Ranges. I Tried It A Few Years Ago And By The End Of Using A Five Gallon Can Of Mix All My 2stroke Equip (tanaka-stihl-echo) Seemed To Lose Some Power And Engine Speed. Switched Back To Echos Oil For 2stroke And The Power Came Back In A Few Days Although Those Machines Never Really Seemed The Same After.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Scotts' Yard Care said:
In many years working with two strokes I was always told to use an oil ceritfied specifically for aircooled engines. One tech guy explained that boat engines generally run much cooler due the constant flow of fresh cool water thru the jackets. Aircooled working engines run at a higher temp and need a different formulation of oil.
Bingo :)

·
Banned
1,889 Posts
Scotts' Yard Care said:
this is correct, marine oil is for water cooled 2 strokes, NOT air cooled

·
Registered
39 Posts
Beyond being water cooled, marine motors typically operate at a constant sustained RPM for relatively long periods. I have read that this affects how the oil acts in the motor, and the oil manufacturers take this into account when formulating the oil. It is not just the water cooled aspect, marine motors are different animals and you should not use that oil in your mowers.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
The base stocks used for for water cooled engine oil are not the same as those used for air cooled engine oil. If the label reads "TCW" don't use it in air cooled engines.

The money saved by using TCW oil in air cooled engines won't come close to the money spent on repairs. The only one who will be happy is your dealer.

Oldtimer

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
I'e used it for several years on equipment that I've owned for several years, and never had a problem. I run rather rich, though. I mix all my 2 stroke up 4 oz. per gal.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Off topic:

You speak the truth. Why people ask questions and not care about the answers surprises me as well. Your posts are very helpful to me. :)

p.s., on bobistheoilguy.com site, there is so much info on how Stupid it is to use tpc III oil in air cooled engines; supporting your position.
What do they know, they are the people who design and produce the oil!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
128Steve said:
Off topic:

Why people ask questions and not care about the answers surprises me as well.
;) i can read just fine. i don't need to have things continously explained in differnt forms. i asked a question and recieved alot of opinions, based on experience. i have read through them.
it's oil. how much deeper could we actually delve into this?

·
Registered
562 Posts
tcw3 is designed for constant rpm and not to build up carbon.

most of the really good 2 stroke oils for lawn equipment is designed to lubricate "better", which does cause it to build up more carbon.
sythetics are indeed the best once the rings are seated.

as a side note, tcw3 does not guarantee cold weather pour points, and is typically very poorly suited for snowmobile use.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.