Lawn Care Forum banner

Market drops , 2 customers cancel

12K views 89 replies 16 participants last post by  DanaMac 
#1 ·
Got in today I was checking messages and watching the news . Dow drops over 500 points , Well Two customers want their deposits back , no big deal ,they werent big jobs . I get a 20% cancellation fee .

I have a feeling the brakes are going to be slammed on this economy real quick and hard.

#3 ·
Got in today I was checking messages and watching the news . Dow drops over 500 points , Well Two customers want their deposits back , no big deal ,they werent big jobs . I get a 20% cancellation fee .

I have a feeling the brakes are going to be slammed on this economy real quick and hard.
Thats too bad.Maybe they will call you back in a month or so when they see the markets are rising again. We were long overdue for this correction which is now 11% on the dow. Buy,buy,buy,the selloff is overdone and stocks are cheap. Big Ben will do whaterever it takes in keeping us out of a double dip recession. :)

#4 ·
I used to have that problem but have since re-directed who I choose to work for just so their figment of economic status doesn't whack me in the butt.
On new maintenance accounts I demand a three month deposit up-front when signing a one-year contract. I tell the new client they make the year and the deposit is applied to the following year renewal. If they drop I will prorate the deposit return.
Those that scream I won't work for - those that pay have remained faithful clients to this day.

#10 ·
Lot of people looking at their nest eggs and wondering if they will ever be able to retire. Especially since they know the better they do the more they will be demonized and forced to give up a large percentage to those that took no retirement planning efforts. We are getting ourselves deeper and deeper in a hole.

@
Posted via Mobile Device

#12 ·
we have one of the larger production irrigation companies around here , he is either hurting real bad or he has something else up his sleeve .. He is advertizing a 7 zone system for 50% off regular price of $ 4300 now for the first seven contracts $2150.00.for 7 zones plumbing and permits extra.
Thats below 1982 prices , now they do production slap in and go , but thats still awfull cheap . Even for them .

#13 ·
I hate to say it but the sky could be falling. I hope it isn't but regardless we aren't going to get out of this without a lot of pain and a huge revaluing of American assets. If the chinese even suspect we are going to eliminate debt by inflating our currency a world crash could easily occur. The chinese have little to lose. they are still basically a poor country with a totalitarian government. They don't give a flip about IRAs or health care. We on the other hand have much to lose. When they put the squeeze on the politicians are going to look at all those retirement assets and figure out how to pay them off by robbing the 25% that have been responsible retiree savers. Not sure how you can legally hide assets from the govt but I'd sure find every nook and cranny you can.

My 2cents going fishing now.

#14 ·
we have one of the larger production irrigation companies around here , he is either hurting real bad or he has something else up his sleeve .. He is advertizing a 7 zone system for 50% off regular price of $ 4300 now for the first seven contracts $2150.00.for 7 zones plumbing and permits extra.
Thats below 1982 prices , now they do production slap in and go , but thats still awfull cheap . Even for them .
It sounds like a lifeline for his company matt.....just stay true to good craftmanship at a fair price......you will be along alot longer.....get into that annapolis money......oh no.... thats all coming my way...thanks matt

#15 ·
I hate to say it but the sky could be falling. I hope it isn't but regardless we aren't going to get out of this without a lot of pain and a huge revaluing of American assets. If the chinese even suspect we are going to eliminate debt by inflating our currency a world crash could easily occur. The chinese have little to lose. they are still basically a poor country with a totalitarian government. They don't give a flip about IRAs or health care. We on the other hand have much to lose. When they put the squeeze on the politicians are going to look at all those retirement assets and figure out how to pay them off by robbing the 25% that have been responsible retiree savers. Not sure how you can legally hide assets from the govt but I'd sure find every nook and cranny you can.

My 2cents going fishing now.
Stop being an extremist....life is easier.....next you should tunnel down and save all the aluminum you can........people can afford irrigation....you should find them........and work for THEM......priorities.....BTW there very rich and fancy, so dress in clean clothes, shave, and use big words like giril would do

#18 · (Edited)
Stop being an extremist....life is easier.....next you should tunnel down and save all the aluminum you can........people can afford irrigation....you should find them........and work for THEM......priorities.....BTW there very rich and fancy, so dress in clean clothes, shave, and use big words like giril would do
The closer you get to WA D. C. the more rich you'll find. VA is like right next door.

Yes I may be overstating it but my Dad went through the depression in a pretty nasty way and never let his kids forget that that is always a possibility one needs to be on guard for. We have had 2 generations now who have never experienced a true financial failure. My Dad's generation rose through that and won WWII and laid the foundation for a great economic expansion. We are reaching a point in this country in which 50% of the people contribute nothing to the running of the country. Democracy cannot survive if people vote themselves benefits on the backs of future generations. Once the voting welfare crowd consistently defeats our rich customers irrigation is going to be the furthest thing from their mind.

Also don't forget our current leaders are Kirils that got power.

#19 · (Edited)
You can take your politics, and all politics and politicians, and shove them where the sun don't shine. I could care less about politics, parties, and anything that is remotely related to those issues. When will you stop trying to shove me into one of your stupid labeled boxes? Does it make it easier for you and others to hate me if you think I am a democrat even though I have no political affiliations?

But don't rest now Pete .... you have more PM's to send people in your never ending campaign to turn every person on this forum against me. Hats off to you for acting like a adult. :clapping:

#21 ·
The closer you get to WA D. C. the more rich you'll find. VA is like right next door.

Yes I may be overstating it but my Dad went through the depression in a pretty nasty way and never let his kids forget that that is always a possibility one needs to be on guard for. We have had 2 generations now who have never experienced a true financial failure. My Dad's generation rose through that and won WWII and laid the foundation for a great economic expansion. We are reaching a point in this country in which 50% of the people contribute nothing to the running of the country. Democracy cannot survive if people vote themselves benefits on the backs of future generations. Once the voting welfare crowd consistently defeats our rich customers irrigation is going to be the furthest thing from their mind.

Oh Pete....The DC bunch is finding shelter at Smith Mountain Lake......Where RLP Systems does irrigation right..........5 year warranty........

#26 ·
Oh my Gawd its the driving everybody off the forum thing again.
I dont understand why we as irrigators bash and belittle others in the biz. Theres alot that help and a few that are a pain in the ass.. The mods need to remove the nasty ones so we can co exist wheter it be west south north or east. My experiance here has told me a hand full of posters are full of **** and run soley by the book..... and ALOT are in the trade daily........I work as an installer, and service/maintenece 365 days a year......I'm starting to feel alot of people here a full of ****....Lets get this forum on track to help each other, not to belittle each other...........Can we ....I know we can.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.