• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

marketing and leads

HBFOXJr

LawnSite Bronze Member
Does any one here have their own website that seems to do an excellent job of marketing your services and generating leads? And I mean successfully enough, that it is a real business builder for your company.

mdvaden

LawnSite Bronze Member
Does any one here have their own website that seems to do an excellent job of marketing your services and generating leads? And I mean successfully enough, that it is a real business builder for your company.
We get a lot of work through it. Enough even, to share a little bit.

It should, for the time I've put into it. But its more enjoyable to work on than passing out flyers. Although I don't mind a good walk once in a while.

mikhailnmc

LawnSite Member
Websites are an excellent source for generating sales...if your content is good. Marketing and advertising techniques that have worked for the past several decades no longer are the primary driving force of sales around the world. The internet is the leader. Even if you do not list a single product or have a flashy site, the web can bring in a lot of money.

Web 2.0 utilizing social networks, tweets, mobile messages, etc. are also the wave of the future. We older folks may not fully understand it, but the growing generations have been exposed to all of the technology since birth. It can be confusing, and frankly frightening for people not used to it all.

I can suggest a few books that talk about content and how it is the most important thing for bringing in customers and making them buyers.

'Get Content. Get Customers' by Joe Pulizzi and Newt Barrett
'Content Rich' by Jon Wuebben

You can have the best looking web site in the world, but if you don't have the right content, all you will get is page views and no sales.

PS - our current site needs a ton of work and is not a good example of effective content. I am currently in the midst of redesigning everything.

OP
H

HBFOXJr

LawnSite Bronze Member
good question...i would also like more input
Years ago, I didn't think there was too much solid business info to be gained here at lawnsite that bettered the industry. Responses I'm getting or not getting appears to confirm that today.

If we went to a regional or national meeting and we all heard the same advice from different professionals in marketing, sales, web and tech fields, I guess that would be stupid and foolish as well.

Perhaps it is the same people unwilling to share that are the ones that can't follow the lead of successful green industry contractors coming before them. They'd rather wing it, ignore sound or winning advice, business practices and strategies, cut the price of an $80.00 dollar service to $40.00. And it cost them $10 in materials to perform that service, they think they "made" a fast $30.00.

It is a very sad day and state of the industry when business folks from other parts of the country can't share in their success for fear that the level of competition may actually be improved to the benefit of all.

Harold Fox

lawncareboise

LawnSite Member
Websites are an excellent source for generating sales...if your content is good. Marketing and advertising techniques that have worked for the past several decades no longer are the primary driving force of sales around the world. The internet is the leader. Even if you do not list a single product or have a flashy site, the web can bring in a lot of money.

Web 2.0 utilizing social networks, tweets, mobile messages, etc. are also the wave of the future. We older folks may not fully understand it, but the growing generations have been exposed to all of the technology since birth. It can be confusing, and frankly frightening for people not used to it all.

I can suggest a few books that talk about content and how it is the most important thing for bringing in customers and making them buyers.

'Get Content. Get Customers' by Joe Pulizzi and Newt Barrett
'Content Rich' by Jon Wuebben

You can have the best looking web site in the world, but if you don't have the right content, all you will get is page views and no sales.

PS - our current site needs a ton of work and is not a good example of effective content. I am currently in the midst of redesigning everything.
You can have a good looking site with good content, but if nobody sees it it won't matter.

mdvaden

LawnSite Bronze Member
Years ago, I didn't think there was too much solid business info to be gained here at lawnsite that bettered the industry. Responses I'm getting or not getting appears to confirm that today.

Harold Fox
Lawnsite is more or less casual and secondary.

I've posted more than once that folks need to go to other forums for website answers. Specialty forums or websites that deal with the internet and websites.

Or books.

The small number of views alone for the website forums here on Lawnsite are one indicator of how limited the information will be.

OP
H

HBFOXJr

LawnSite Bronze Member
The market place needs to be evaluated as well. If customers are used to having an abundance of flyers about to choose a service provider from, they may not consider using the internet.

So often over the years I have actually heard from customers how they made bad buying decisions by using some kid that works for the golf course for fert or irrigation, my neighbors son, my son's friend, a couple of young guys starting out, etc. All this points to the consumer being price driven over all other considerations.

The supply of service pretenders never seems to dry up and many consumers continually delude themselves by making new purchasing decisions like the old and expecting different results.

The problem I want to crack, is people find me when they get disgusted and their mind set changes, but they don't find me when they need to make the decision the first time. At times I have felt that my age and experience are a liability tos some people because they think a professional operation is so much more expensive.

In 2008, we expereinced an up tick in internet leads. We attributed that to people seeking to make better decisions with their dollars.

In 2009, the small under $1,000 dollar irrigation projects were shopped to and endless bunch of contractors. Often I was told everyone's price was about the same, yet they continued shopping. Follow up yielded no response. We guess they either bought from the last guy to quote if the price was close or they were shopping for something they couldn't afford.

Some people seem to think because business is depressed they can name their price no matter how ridiculous and find they can't buy.

Mid westerners have always been great customers when they move to my area. They look for quality contractors, old fashioned value and experience, get 3 prices and make the deal. From DC north through Phillly and New York, the natives shop differently.

dfw-internetmarketing

LawnSite Member
I have succesfully run www.yourlawnjockey.com for several years and have unlocked some excellent secrets over several winters. I have done so well with it in fact i have started doing it for others.

Tip for you guys today..

When you pull up your website - at the top of the page (like this page says "lawnsite.com tm -Lawn Care and landscaping Business Forum...")

Yours should at least say your city and the service you are selling on your page.

If it says Home Page or Index - you are doing it wrong.