Marketing in service area not physical business location

Regenerator

LawnSite Member
I’m building a house about 45 minutes (freeway) outside of my service area. In the past I have always lived in my service area more or less so never needed to figure out how to advertise market etc outside of my area. I know google ranks based on physical location and I won’t have one in the service area. Unfortunately where I am going to be Yelp brings in a lot of business as well. Yes I know Yelp is the devil. Yelp also last I remember will only let you go so far out. Note this is for hardscaping and installations only. No maintenance, mowing etc. I’m over doing all that.
what are those of you that are doing business further away doing to get jobs to bid on?

Youngandfree

LawnSite Gold Member
Is your current location in your service area? I've seen posts where Google decides they don't like you changing your service area and suspends your listing.

I may be inclined to leave your listing location alone.

OP
R

Regenerator

LawnSite Member
Is your current location in your service area? I've seen posts where Google decides they don't like you changing your service area and suspends your listing.

Actually I should have been more clear. I’m shutting down my maint business in WA and moving to CA and only doing installs. We are building a house 45 minutes outside of downtown Sacramento. And about 20-30 minutes to the closest service area.

Mark Stark

LawnSite Fanatic

This happened to us. Very frustrating. Google didn't like us using my buddies UPS store. We did that because as we keep growing, we keep moving to bigger shops in different locations. I wanted a single address for all cards, letterhead, etc. Didn't want to always change it as we moved. Google gave us a smack for doing this :wall:

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
Interesting topic. Never knew google actually made an attempt to verify their listing. Must be difficult for legit businesses moving but I appreciate the attempt to put a hold on scammers.
My neighbor hired a "local" gypsie paver with a ups store address. He sued them and won but as they say "they gone gone gone.."
I found this article which is somewhat helpful