Marshall's Yard Service: Random business ops questions as I grow and build my business.

Marshall's Yard Service

LawnSite Senior Member
What about incorporating? From things I have read for years I am coming to the conclusion that I would do better not incorporating and just setting up a "doing business as". I would like to get into commercial work at some point. What do you guys think?

OP
Marshall's Yard Service

Marshall's Yard Service

LawnSite Senior Member
What do y'all think about G Suite?

SilverPine

LawnSite Member
Depending on the size you want to be. I started saving alot in taxes after I incorporated. If you do winter maintenance, it's a bit more piece at mind for lawsuits.

Do a year or two as sole proprietor then talk to an accountant and see if it's worth incorporating.

landscaper22

LawnSite Silver Member
What about incorporating? From things I have read for years I am coming to the conclusion that I would do better not incorporating and just setting up a "doing business as". I would like to get into commercial work at some point. What do you guys think?
You would want to look into LLC of course and not really INC. Really though, if you are solo, it won't protect you that much. You are still responsible for what you do. And there are loop holes for a lawyer to still get you if your empolyee does something. The system always has loopholes. If you do LLC you should probably separate yourself from the business totally. You don't have to pay yourself a salary with LLC, and taxes should be filed the same, but ideally you need a business credit card, etc and do everything for the business through the business. That is what I have heard anyway. The biggest thing customers (especially commercial/industrial) care about is proper liability insurance. Some places also care about your insurance coverage amount on your truck.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
That’s all about your size , how you do your taxes and how you pay yourself.

Basically if you run things out of your garage or your own live in property don’t incorporate

If your business is somewhere you work at as an executive employee and it has its own structure , you may want to incorporate.

It’s more complicated than that, but the above abbreviation can help you decide if it’s worth the time to look into the complication of it all in the first place.