Maruyama 9000 owners thread

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Ridin' Green, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

It seems like we should have a thread like this with leaf season upon us, and so many guys asking about this blower, plus a few guys have contacted me now via PM and suggested or asked me to do it, so here goes.

Please, lets not take this off course like so many other threads, and let's keep it on the 9000. If posts start drifting the thread, I will ask MJD to delete them.

Talk about how it compares to other blowers is fine since that is what so many want to know or are looking to read, and there are those wondering about whether they are worth the effort to get. If you have bought one of these already, chime in. If you are just wondering, ask and someone may be able to help you out, or maybe I can.

I've had mine now for only about half a week, but have used it several times already.

I'll share my thoughts so far on it, starting with first impressions, and then what I think could and should be improved and what is great as is. Again, these are my opinions and some of you may feel differently.

I know a lot of what I post below most of you guys know or at least have some idea about, but there will also be people reading this that have come here while googling for info on this unit, and a lot of it is for their benefit as well, so please don't feel like I am explaining the obvious to you or that I am being condescending, as that is certainly not my intent.

First impression was that it was well made overall, but that the flex elbow is a little stiff as it comes from the box, though I have no doubt that will loosen up over time. It was boxed well as shipped (for those that order online for lack of local dealer support) and was easy to assemble.

A few things I can't call cons, but that could be better-

IMO, the trigger needs a little more attention to be as good as some of the others I have or have had, or have ran that belonged to someone else. It is easy to operate, but there is a small spot where it recesses into the handle that when fully depressed, pinches my finger about 50% of the time. The handle itself seem stronger enough, but is kinda hard and reminds me of the RM tube mounted handles, though the 9000's is adjustable for pitch.

There is another point that needs attention IMO- The handle pitch is just not right for me personally. It's either too far forwards, or just not far enough. If they had went with finer teeth on the adjustment, it would have made getting the pitch just right a lot easier like it is on both my 570 and 802.

The gas fill port is right under the starter handle, and could be located a little better, though again, a minor peeve.

I'll add other stuff as I notice it or it comes to me.

Things I think are good to great-

Mine takes about 5 pulls from cold every time, but is ready to go almost as soon as you can flip the choke off. Warm, it is like all my other BP's- one pull.

The air filter system is great as you would expect on a commercial BP and is two stage like a lot of them are now.

Personally, I like the cruise control lever/button, and also the kill switch and the way it works, though I know some like to hit it and have it die without having to hold it down until it does. I do wonder though, just how long the rubber boot over the kill switch will stay in place and last.

The frame and everything else looks well made. the spring mounted anti-vib system is great too.

I am grateful the tube mounted throttle is centered over the tube instead of being set off to the side like Husky does it, which I have always disliked very much on my 570.

The back padding on this thing is AWESOME. the shoulder straps are good too. Not quite as nice as those on my 802, but better than some of them on other brands. There is a back cooling system, though it works differently than many guys seem to think, and I have seen YT videos where the person doing the video says it doesn't have a cooling system. It does, and how it works is that it draws air in through the channels in the padding and then in through the mesh, the hole in the back frame, and into the fan intake opening. You have to clean grass and dust etc from the mesh now and then to keep the air flowing through the back padding, especially in summer when it will be more helpful having that air flow on your back.

It doesn't seem to be any worse on fuel use than my 570 or 802, so that is a plus as I have read and heard it is a gas hog. It isn't IMO.

It isn't any heavier than my 802 or 570. In fact, it may be a tad lighter in spite of its size.

It is quite comfortable right as it comes, but for those of us that run these things for hours on end in the fall vs just blowing off drives like summer time use normally sees, IMO, it needs a chest strap since it is a large unit. I like my BP's locked on my back when running them for longer periods, and that is also helpful when having to bend and pick up sticks, rocks, trash etc a lot like is so common in fall and spring clean ups. Unfortunately, the strap (not the pad itself) material Maruyama uses is wider than other brands like Stihl, Husky, and Shindaiwa, so the Stihl chest strap E clips wouldn't work on them. I had my wife sew some Stihl shoulder strap material over top of the factory straps (over an area at chest height that is loose from the padding itself) and then added one of the Stihl chest straps like I have on my 802 and 380 (and had on my 600 when I owned it). This is in a couple of the pics below. It worked(s) awesome as I had hoped for, and makes the thing that much more comfortable to run.There is also a link down at the bottom that is of a quick leaf clean up job I did before the rains hits us tomorrow. There weren't a ton of leaves yet as they are just now at full color and not really dropping that much yet, but enough to give you some idea of what it can do. I will tell you up front, my camera is cheap, and doesn't always do justice to how deep the leaves are or how far away from me they actually were at times.

There are a few pics of it next to my other BP's and some showing the tubes and openings as well as the tips etc.

There is one or three of my 802 with and without the Maru tip that a forum member sent me to try out on any BP I could make it work on, and that is both my 380 and my 802.

Trust me, the tornado tip works on the 9000!

This is something that is neither a plus nor a minus, but something worth mentioning- The air coming out of this thing is strong enough that it slowly forces the elbow at the fan housing rearward/to the side. Every now and then you have to yank it to line it back up front to back, or at least mine is that way.

I will add more videos to this thread as the fall rolls along. Hopefully comparing it side by side with my 802.

The link to the video I made is at the bottom.

100_4896.jpg

100_4897.jpg

100_4881.jpg

100_4880.jpg

100_4887.jpg

100_4889.jpg

100_4890.jpg

100_4891.jpg

The link to the video-
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByTmxNlw9fhpNkg3N0dsUkpKSE0/view?usp=sharing

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    Dawson and Eric502 like this.
  2. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

One more thing to add to the above- if any of you do not have a 2017 Maruyama catalog, get one. There is some info in there that may make you a bit confused regarding the specs of this BP.

RDALawns likes this.
  3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

you got a bl9000? when did this happen? :laugh:

looking forward to hearing more about it.

RDALawns likes this.
  4. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

That's all in the post above.....middle of this past week it showed up. Did you read it all,, or see the video at the bottom? The video is a little long maybe, but I wanted it to show what it does from start to finish, and with and without the tornado tip. It is a stout blower for sure. Not worlds ahead of my 570 and 802, but definitely stronger and you can see it. My camera makes everything look like it is closer than it really is for some reason.

Eric502 likes this.
  5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah i read it. i guess i just haven't been around much since i was busy this week so i didn't know you got one. :laugh:

i've only used my 580bts one day and i couldn't tell it was much different from my br600 but i wasn't blowing leaves or anything. i can tell it is blowing more air (cfm) compared to just a narrow stream of air (mph) though. as far as blowing off driveways i guess it's about the same as using a br600 really. i guess it's not fully broke in yet though and i'm going through an adjustment phase because the br600 didn't really have more blowing power going from 3/4-full throttle. maybe a tad?...but the 580 goes crazy when you pull it to full throttle. it has completely opposite blowing characteristics from the br600.

i guess that is what is good about the bl9000. it's like a 570 and a 580 rolled into one since you have the different tips to put on it. you can get more mph or more cfm depending on what you need.

HFD137 likes this.
  6. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

You won't see the difference in what they can do until the leaves or other debris gets deep, then it will be a lot more obvious.

RDALawns likes this.
  7. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

To me, it's more like a larger 802 with multiple tip choices. I can't say how it will last, but it is a strong BP. If you watch the video, watch it all the way through. I made it a little long so that you can see there was no doctoring of anything and then be able to see what it does to a pile of leaves about 2 feet deep towards the end, both with the tornado tip and without it.

So far, I am liking it a lot, especially the power, but it isn't that far ahead of my 802, and the 802 is more comfortable in a lot of areas. The 802 is still my favorite BP so far, but this one could challenge it a little.

8. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

I've found it hard to sale my older bl85t blowers. I have 3 setting in the floor of my shop. I can definitely tell the difference between them and the 9000.

Ridin' Green likes this.
  9. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I have been saying for a long time the the published specs of all these blowers are meaningless, and I am more convinced of that than ever now. Take a look in the 2017 Maru catalog and this thing looks like it can hardly blow its own nose.:dizzy: Something somewhere is getting lost in the translation LOL.

RDALawns likes this.
  10. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

It is a bit confusing for sure. My local dealer is having customer appreciation day in 2 weeks The yama rep will be there. I may ask him why they can't do a better job on their website and catolog.

Ridin' Green likes this.