• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Maryland Engineering

PerfiCut L&L

LawnSite Senior Member
Glen Burnie, MD
We've been doing walkways, and patios now for a few years now and have been taking as many training courses, and classes as possible since then. Its been preached that anyhting over 4' must be engineered and in some cases walls as high as 3 foot may also require engineering. Forunately we have not had any of these cases, but I expect we will with time. How does one go about finding an engineer to do this? We are located in the Baltimore area, more specifically, GLen BUrnie.

Generally speaking, how does this process work, and what sort of costs are involved?



LawnSite Gold Member
coastal NC
since this refers to hardscaping it should be in the hardscapes section.


LawnSite Bronze Member
Cape Cod
You would need a structural engineer. The most efficient way to do this, both in terms of costs and time) is to design the wall layout and elevations yourself and then go to the structural engineer to have him figure out what you will have to do to make the wall strong enough for the situation it is in. He will most likely inspect the soil conditions on the site and calculate the surcharge on the wall and determine how deep you must go with your footing or base material and what you would need for rebar, geogrid, concrete, and/or mortar spec's depending on the type of wall. He would provide you with stamped construction details and specifications and may also inspect your work as you go along. If you build it as he specified, you are off the hook if the wall fails.

The more he has to do the more it will cost, so try to get the layout and elevations done first. It will take him less time to adjust those, if necessary than to design it from scratch.