1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Massachusetts lawn treatments

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by James Cormier, Mar 30, 2020.

1. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Are you going forward with round 1?
    Do we have the green light to do so? Has the state DEP put any restrictions on our licensing to apply with the non essential business restrictions?

ive heard from several customers to please come when I can, and have had several say please don’t come. Few things to consider when making treatments, usually I move toys, sport equipment like balls, nets and items like that. Now that kids are home I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot more of that. Touching things is going to be a huge problem I’m guessing

Are you worried about the public’s Perception if the see us out fertilizing lawns when everyone is saying stay in doors? Lots to consider here, very troubling for sure.
    I've been a licensed applicator since 1986 here in mass, it’s a whole new world right now.

Thoughts?

2. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Gold Member

I plan to start up soon. Hopefully next week, waiting on the forsythia, I'm pretty far north. If you are working solo, you should be ok. The question is whether you can get supplies. I'm going to call today to see if I can get some fert delivered this week.

This FAQ specifically mentions landscapers.

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/covid-19-essential-services-faqs

hort101 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Just got off phone with site one, they are open and have no plan to close.
    Also found some new guide lines on weather or not lawn care work can be done in Massachusetts

looks like we are good to go A78FC5C1-820A-48CF-AF2E-108D18E9AE6B.png C3AE55DF-00E7-4228-A85C-19018ECEE5B9.jpeg

Small Cuts and hort101 like this.
  4. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

We are not allowed to work in Michigan. Michigan’s Attorney General’s office said they have gotten thousands of complaints about companies working that shouldn’t be under the lock down order. All types of companies, not just landscape services. I’m hearing that companies out working are been shamed on Facebook etc... I’ve also heard that Law enforcement has made some contact with those working. $500 fine, 90 days in jail possible loss of business license. Don’t know if that had happened yet. I heard that there were warnings only so far. How things look to the public is a major concern. People are scared the optics are horrible.

5. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Gold Member

I just saw TruGreen treat a neighbor. No sirens or arrests.

6. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Here's a link
    Follow social distancing and all safety precautions you should be able to find guide lines

7. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Probably shot straight water :dizzy:

T storms last night green up underway here

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

You might think about wearing a mask and gloves. This reduces the risk of you transmitting it to the homeowner--and also it reduces your risk of being infected by the homeowner. Then you are being safer than most people. Safer than that guy on TV. Also, be sure you have strong soap and a hand sprayer filled with water for washing your hands after every treatment. Wear gloves at the gas pump, of course.
    Then, try to have a hand sprayer filled with 1 percent bleach. Offer to disinfect any item the customer wants--outdoors. Doorknobs maybe, mailbox? Porch railing? Swing set? Recent arrived Prime delivery?
    Deliver the bills by email of course--but if you cannot do that--wear thin rubber gloves and include a special sheet of helpful advice and information. A bit of persuasive propaganda is always helpful.
    Of course--keep your warning flags sanitary--or spray them with bleach or germicide.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    hort101 likes this.
  9. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

It is imperative to follow the best management practices to protect yourself, your employees and your clients. The NJ Landscape Contractors Association posted today that they are getting complaints about landscapers having 3-4 employees in the cab. That is a sure way to spread infection.

Marine03112 and hort101 like this.