1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Masters in October ?

Discussion in 'Golf Forum' started by agrostis, Mar 18, 2020.

1. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Gold Member

RussellB likes this.
  2. Digitaria Sanguinalis

Digitaria Sanguinalis LawnSite Senior Member

I wonder if their perennial rye would be playable by October? I assume they seed around Sept. 1. It certainly won’t look as aesthetically pleasing.

3. OP
    OP
    agrostis

All the rye would be long gone. It would be all bermuda with bentgrass greens. It would be a much duller green. That place could be as hard as a rock at that time of year. That's what would make it interesting cause there definitely wouldn't be much color.

4. Digitaria Sanguinalis

So your saying that they’d skip seeding this season? That would also eliminate the chance for a normal spring 2021 tournament. No rye = no Masters. I’ve seen pics of the course in summer and it ain’t pretty. I can’t see this happening.

5. OP
    OP
    agrostis

No, i wasn't clear enough. They already seeded for this years tournament in Oct of '19. In central Georgia all the rye gets burned out by June. Then you have the regular, year round base of 419 Bermuda. That's just the way the grass grows around here. You have to re-seed cool season turf every fall.

Since you normally seed rye the second or third week of Oct. in central Georgia, (because it's still so hot) i just don't see how you could get it thick enough to make a difference if the tournament was held in the first half of that month. Maybe if it happens toward the end of October you might get a good stand of rye but i doubt it. You never know with that place though. They can afford to do just about anything they want but you can only push mother nature so far.

6. Digitaria Sanguinalis

I’m very much familiar with over-seeding Bermuda with rye. I live in Oklahoma. And a former greens keeper at Southern Hills country club ( 2001 US Open and 2007 PGA) We typically need to seed around sept 15. I can’t foresee them staging the tourney in early October and being able to properly prep the course for over-seeding for the 2021 tourney.

7. OP
    OP
    agrostis

I sure would like to see southern hills. I've seen some picture's, it look's awesome.

8. takervader

takervader LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I just dont see how it could be as pretty as it is in April, but I know the guys who installed the SubAirs and did the greens work, they can run any temperature water under those greens that they want to adjust their growth rates and make them look better.

I heard they were going to seed the rye earlier and do what they could to make it come out in time.