1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Materials for Chili Thrips

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PHS, Jul 23, 2008.

1. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone having success with a particular material for Chili Thrips?

I'm getting my butt kicked on Knock Out Roses on a few properties this year. Here's what I've tried thus far, granular Imidachloprid (says suppresion) combined Bifenthrin sprays, straight Bifenthrin sprays and Bifenthrin tank mixed with foliar Merit.

I thought I was getting control and this week I'm finding Thrips all over. I know Thrips generations are short but I shouldn't have to spray every week.

As I'm writing this I remember in college adding a little brown sugar to the mix to bait the thrips out while spraying greenhouse roses...it's worth a try.

2. shaneb

shaneb Inactive

Conserve is about the only option that I know of right now. Many companies are searching for a good thrips product to bring to market, but none have been successful yet. Conserve is the industry standard for thrips control.

3. coiclawn

coiclawn LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

I've been using Safari and getting great control...it's pricey but a little bit goes a long way.

4. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly right!!!

In my neck of the woods, I deal with the Western Flower Thrip.

I use the "Blue Sticky Cards" to Monitor when they Hatch, THEN...

I rotate Conserve and Orthene.........It's the Cat's Meow :)

Pete

5. PHS

Thanks guys. I've used Conserve in the past with good results. I was kind of avoiding buying some because I was hoping I could get acceptable control with what I already had. Going the cheap route bit me in the butt this time :hammerhead:

6. PHS

Picked up some Conserve this morning and not a moment too soon. I sprayed it on almost every property today, those little bastards are into everything. They're into the roses big time, they wrecked several areas of Impatiens, a couple nice camelias, Indian Hawthorns, Plumbagos, Nandinas, and who knows what else. Funny thing is a couple groups of roses I treated 3 weeks ago for thrips are doing beautifully now...frustrating.

7. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Hit them again in 7-10 days PHS with the Conserve @ 11 oz. per 100 Gal.

The thrip life cycle is a short one.

Conserve is #1 for Thrips.

Pete