• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Maxi/Mini Paw's rotating slowly

Dirty Water

LawnSite Fanatic
I just did a quick renovation call for a landscaper that is redoing a 20 year old landscape.

Added two drip zones, moved a bunch of heads..the usual. Anyways, I found about 5 impact sprinklers that refused to move (they would hammer away, but not go anywhere).

I didn't feel like messing with them, so I replaced them for rotors...Any idea why they would do that?

Wet_Boots

LawnSite Fanatic
Could be dirt or debris. It might also just be worn out bearing washers. A certain amount of bearing friction is necessary for an impact head to work. Without it, there will be no rotation. I remember old brass impact heads with the same problem. Makes you say "Hmmmmm" the first time you see it.

Grassmechanic

LawnSite Silver Member
As Wet Boots said it could be a bearing washer. Or a small stone in the impact arm. Or a burr on the part that the impact rotates on.

Wet_Boots

LawnSite Fanatic
Sometimes, with brass impact heads, you would see the non-rotating impact heads when a homeowner noticed that the reversing trip mechanism was sticking, and got the bright idea of getting out the good ol' can of WD-40 ~ if only the trip mechanism got sprayed, all well and good, but if the spray got into the spindle bearing washers, and eliminated the friction, good-bye impact head.