1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Mcculloch hedge trimmer won’t start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jason555, Oct 13, 2009.

1. jason555

jason555 LawnSite Member

Hi All,

Firstly I guess I should mention that I’m not a gardening or landscape professional, but am just seeking a little help/advice.

I have a Mcculloch Tivilo 60, (two-stroke) hedge trimmer, which won’t start.

I hadn’t used it since last year. I drained the old fuel down and put fresh fuel in.
    This machine never started that well from new, but this year when I went to use it wouldn’t start at all!

I checked the spark, which was fine. I stripped the carburettor and cleaned it; all diaphragms looked OK.

After refitting the carburettor I attempted to start it, and on about the fifth or sixth attempt it started. On full rev it ran fine but on idle it cut out straight away. I managed to start it again and kept it running on full rev for about ten minutes. I stopped it and could not start it again and have not been able to start it since.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jason