1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

McCulloch throttle cable

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Diannej, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Diannej

Diannej LawnSite Member

hi, I bought a McCulloch weedeater at a yard sale last year. It worked great until I broke the throttle cable. I ordered a new one from a aftermarket and have the weedeater torn apart and cant figure out how this cable feeds through the housing of the weedeater. I have it hooked up to the carburetor and need to feed it through to the trigger switch and not sure how it goes. It is Model # FR-44. Can U help,
    I dont want to break this one it took me 3 months to finally get it. Thanks diannej :eek:

2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't intend for this to be interpreted as mean, but we have a special name for Mc Culloch equipment: junk. In reference to your question, there should be an opening along where the original cable was routed through the shroud.

When a trimmer such as a Homelite, Craftsman, Mc Culloch, Weed Eater or some other cheap brand breaks, in most cases it is not worth the trouble to repair it. You'd be better off getting a new good brand trimmer such as a Stihl, Echo, or Dolmar. Any of those will outlast and outcut the cheapos by a factor of 10 or more.

3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

you will need to take the trigger assembly apart, there should be a barrel on one end of the cable and a "Z" bend on the other. The barrel end fits in the lever side and the Z bend is what fits to the carb, just route the cable like it was and you should be set.