1. HAPPENING NOW: Ask the Expert
    Click over to the Fertilizer Application forum for a live Q&A on fertilization strategies with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental.

    Dismiss Notice

MDA Lic. Maryland Department Of Agriculture License. HELP

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CrewCutEnterprises, Mar 22, 2004.

  1. CrewCutEnterprises

    CrewCutEnterprises LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 898

    Ok Searched adn couldent find anything.

    My question is how did everyone Get their lic to spray pestisides?
    Here in MD you have to work under a lic person for 1 year. How do u find someone to work under??

    And a MHIC lic. You have to work under someone for 2 years. I wnat it to be the same company. Any Idea's

    Please help me as many companies are not willing to be legally licensed.

    Also Im incorporating in 2005. I was going to go to a LLC. Any ideas or thoughts why i shouldent. Im currently a sole proprietor.
  2. bayfish

    bayfish LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 641

    Crewcut lawn...

    Voice form the beach here.

    I incorporated this year. I spoke to my lawyer about LLC, he advised "S" corp. Stating that he has been involved in litigation for LLC's and "S" corp language leaves room for less dispute. Talk to a Lawyer first.
    The pesticide license in Md is a PITA to get. You can get a license after working for another company after 1 years but it is a private license. It does'nt allow for others to work under yours.
    I am currently pursuing mine. I have taken 3 courses at a local community college:
    Diseases and Pests of Ornamental Plants - 46 hours
    Turf Management - 20 hours
    Pesticide Use and Safety - 36 hours
    Cost me close to $600.00
    Then you apply for the exam.
    This cost $125.00 plus $25.00 for any sub-categories like industrial weed, which you need to spray parking lot, fencelines, curblines.
    Another for treating ponds, right of ways which includes medians, and many more.
    I finish up my last class this week. Then I will apply for the exam.
    If you need any more info, let me know. I'll be happy to help.
  3. Mdirrigation

    Mdirrigation LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,750

    As far as the MHIC licence , I didnt know that they changed the rules , as far as working for someone else. I do know that you need a MHIC to do landscaping , but not mowing. The requirement about working for someone else was not in place when I took mine. I would re check that. Problem is not many people are going to hire you to work for them if they know you want to strike out on your own after you pass the test.
  4. GroundKprs

    GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,969

    The reason for working under a licensee for a time is to get the proper training. Some states it is a year, some up to 3 years. It is common practice in all trades for the industry to provide the training for future tradesmen. It is definitely not the job of the regulatory agency to provide the education, and their rules are just common sense in making sure a person is knowledgable before being licensed.

    The best route for anyone is to talk directly to your state regulators. I have helped others to get started in pesticides by employing them only when they do the fert/pest applications. We took on half a dozen properties that they did the mowing maintenance on. I paid them for the time, and I billed the client and received the income. After a couple of years, they were able to take the tests and get their own license to operate in their own business, and they just took back the clients for fert/pest apps. But we cleared this with the state office beforehand. I made some easy money, and they got the training. Just need to find some open minded small business with a license.

    Today my state, and a number of others, will allow someone to test without the training under someone else, if they can present credentials of education in the field. Yes, the education costs and takes time, but you're learning it properly. We even have a special training program, where you purchase study materials, work on those, then participate in an intensive 2-3 day seminar, and can take the test after that. Of course, usually less than half will pass, because it is a tough test.

    Bottom line: if you really want to do it right, it's gonna take some work. And do meet face to face with regulators to find out just how you can accomplish your license legitimately.
  5. Mdirrigation

    Mdirrigation LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,750

    I agree with the experience on the pesticide / herbicide applications. But in Maryland the MHIC stands for Maryland home improvement commission. The same licence is required to build a deck , install replacement windows or install landscaping. The test does not cover knowledge of the work, rather it is comprised of contract law and how you can sell and what type of deposit you can take. Working for a licenced landscaper would allow you to take the test and get a licence and roof houses .
  6. CrewCutEnterprises

    CrewCutEnterprises LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 898

    I agree with the Experience but for the MHIC stands for Maryland home improvement commission. How do u determine what work you can do without a lic. A stack stone wall = no lic? But a paver patio = lic!

    I am triing to be a good business and be trained in what im going to do.

    ALSO, a little rant. Lost a rather large seeding and gravel driveway job to another landscaper. Well wouldent bother me except the lady told me he was some guy, who was going to do it under the table for cheap for her. I told her cheap is what you get. But I could do it under the table too but wouldent you want me to do it legally. Point being. This guy has done 2 3000.00 plus jobs for 2 of my regular spring clean mow etc customers. I dont get it. O and he doesnt report taxes and has a sign for ... Landscaping with a # on his truck.. how should i deal with it? Just let it go?

    You try to do things the right way and people dont respect it....I dont get it
  7. Luscious Lawns

    Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member
    Messages: 133

    People DO respect things done the right way. Keep your quality high and your honour higher. I've been in the biz for over 12 years and seen more than I can count of the "Under the table" LCOs They never hang in the long haul. But I'm always here.

    Don't worry about the lost accopunt. This just frees up some of your valuable time for more profitable projects.
  8. CrewCutEnterprises

    CrewCutEnterprises LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 898

    Thanks alot. Ill remember that. Just ... aRRRRRG. but yea.

    So does anyone have some ideas for licensing??
  9. Mdirrigation

    Mdirrigation LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,750

    Legally you cant do landscaping without a MHIC its a criminal offense to enter into a home improvement contract with out a licence . Now I havent heard of anybod going to jail unless they defraud somebody. But the fines are as high as 5 years and 5000 dollar fine. Call the MHIC division and get the application, I havent read the new rules about working for someone , but if possible take the test . I think they have a subcontractor catagory , get that and in 2 years apply for the contractors licence.

    The intresting part the only person that can complain about the unlicenced contractor is the customer .
  10. CrewCutEnterprises

    CrewCutEnterprises LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 898

    Ok, going to post back as it has been about a year since my this first post.

    I will be done my MDA apprenticeship in may, and take my test in june.

    I'm still looking for some MHIC direction. I will have to work for someone. Anyone willing to have help, u know 1 2 times a month?? affordable worker. low pay ok, :) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: please :blob3:

    Also are there specifics of an mhic or could i work for a irrigation company and still do landscaping and hardscapes under my mhic??

    I incorporated to an llc now. :) inspecting everything to get under company was a pain

Share This Page