1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

measuring up cheap blades rockwell hardness

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rodney, Mar 6, 2002.

1. rodney

rodney LawnSite Member
    from sw,ohio

metal hardness is measured in rockwell hardness units , and the hardness of a blade ranges from 35 on the low end to 50 on the high end some blades may go higher. example is stens carbide tongsten blade has a hardness of 65.
    the higher the hardness value the longer the blade will retain a decent edge .
    you pay more for harder blades but you pay even more for the cheaper blades , by spending more time shapening and replacing them.

i fond this in grounds maintenance magizine.

so i whent to the barn to get some blades to see what thy are and couldnt find but one blade out of greatdane ,lawnboy, toro and snapper that has a two didgit number. the snapper has a square box next to the numbers 80k .

is this rite do they make them that hard and why are the other blades not marked ?

2. ceaman

ceaman LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

That is not the rockwell hardness, I guarantee it.

The abbreviation for rockwell hardness would be something like 50Rc which states that it is "50 on the rockwell C scale".

3. longslawn

longslawn LawnSite Member

I agree with ceaman. I worked as a machinist for 16 years and if the blade was 65 rockwell it would be very dangerous to use. I once tested a John Deere blade and the Rc was 26. I would think that most blades were this or less.
    We worked with tool steel and only got rockwells of 62-68.
    I don't think the blade steel is of tool quality and could not reach these Rc numbers. It could be case hardend, but I dought it. It would be a pain to sharpen a 65 C blade.

4. shadetree

shadetree LawnSite Member

Silver Streak has a number of blades that are now rc50.
    I use their Gator magnum rc50 and have very good luck with them.