Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
I was in the same boat as you, so I went looking.
Home depot had a small one for $25 and a big wheel for about $50.
Went to ebay, and got the same exact one for $15!
just worth checking out on ebay for something like this, since it is a pretty basic tool.
It paid for itself on my first aeration estimate, by being able to accurately charge per 100 ft^2 instead of eye - balling it!

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
I used the yellow one from Home Depot for a few years. I think I paid around $55 for it. It would be nice to have one that you can reset with a finger trigger at the top, that way you don't have to constantly be lifting it up. It's a pain in the azz to hold the wheel, pen and paper....then writing down the dimensions....then going back to the truck and taking a calculator to all those numbers. That is why a few months ago I bought a digital one and LOVE this thing to death. I can give estimates in half the time now. At the end of each measurement press a couple of buttons. Once you are finished with all you measuring, press a couple more buttons and BAM!!! theres you total square feet. Total cost was around $125. It's called the Digi Roller II Plus. Most places sell them for around $165, but do a google search and you will find a place them sells them as cheap as I got mine. Batteries will last 400+ hours.....so thats not a big issue.

Good luck
MATT

·
Registered
254 Posts
someone on here was talking about one that uses GPS to figure it all for you. Just walk the perimeters and it gives you all the info you want. I just haven't been able to find one of these.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Originally posted by SUGAR_CUT_MARK
i gotta get me one of those. when measuring lawns i presume u measure 2 sides, then multiply those together? then subtract the sq feet of the dimensions of the home?
That is one way, but might be less accurate because you usually have bed areas and other obstacles. I measure out different areas.

As far as GPS's go.....I have heard that they are not THAT accurate.....might be within 5ft each way and that can add up. The units are expensive also, but if you want one for a hobby also, then it might be fun to play with.

MATT

·
Banned
2,382 Posts
Originally posted by walker-talker
As far as GPS's go.....I have heard that they are not THAT accurate.....might be within 5ft each way and that can add up. The units are expensive also, but if you want one for a hobby also, then it might be fun to play with.

MATT

Attachments

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Originally posted by David Haggerty
Yes, but how accurate are they measuring a 5K sq ft lawn?

·
Registered
975 Posts
I bought a bright orange Lufkin with the large wheel at Lowes for about $60. Price was a little high, but I really needed it at the time. Has turned out to be one of the most useful tools this year. Plus, it's so light which makes it effortless.

·
Banned
2,382 Posts
Originally posted by walker-talker
Yes, but how accurate are they measuring a 5K sq ft lawn?
Accurate to a fraction of a foot. The error people talk about is relative to your position on the planet. If you keep the same satellites it's very accurate measuring areas. They're especially good for irregular shaped areas.

What isn't accurate is the measuring wheel & calculator.
Unless you're dealing with 90 degree corners and you're just guessing the angles you're going to be way off.

I just like the way the GPS cuts thru all the BS about the size of the turf areas. Now I tell the customer how much turf they have mowed instead of the other way around.
I told a fellow LCO last week the size of a back lot he had contracted to bush hog was 6.2 acres. He said "They told me it was 3 maybe 4 acres of grass. I'll have to ask for more money!"

I have a Garmin e-trex vista. Sure it costs more than a measuring wheel until you get to figuring how much an error in measurement could cost you.

Here's where you can check them out:

http://www.garmin.com/

Dave

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.