1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Measuring Wheel

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Crew Cut Lawncare, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Crew Cut Lawncare

Crew Cut Lawncare LawnSite Member

Where can I get a wheel for measuring up lawns? Do you suggest the small or large wheels? And what do they cost?

2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

You can get them at your local hardware store.
    Lowes,Home Depot,Ace,etc.,,
    Get a large wheel,as it will track over uneven terrain better.Cost ranges from about $50-$100.

3. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I was in the same boat as you, so I went looking.
    Home depot had a small one for $25 and a big wheel for about $50.
    Went to ebay, and got the same exact one for $15!
    just worth checking out on ebay for something like this, since it is a pretty basic tool.
    It paid for itself on my first aeration estimate, by being able to accurately charge per 100 ft^2 instead of eye - balling it!

4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

I tend to keep one in every truck and my car.

Can never remember where I left it last.........;)

5. double e

double e LawnSite Member

Those wheels come in handy-
    Nice for spacing Leylands
    Also look perfesional

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I used the yellow one from Home Depot for a few years. I think I paid around $55 for it. It would be nice to have one that you can reset with a finger trigger at the top, that way you don't have to constantly be lifting it up. It's a pain in the azz to hold the wheel, pen and paper....then writing down the dimensions....then going back to the truck and taking a calculator to all those numbers. That is why a few months ago I bought a digital one and LOVE this thing to death. I can give estimates in half the time now. At the end of each measurement press a couple of buttons. Once you are finished with all you measuring, press a couple more buttons and BAM!!! theres you total square feet. Total cost was around $125. It's called the Digi Roller II Plus. Most places sell them for around $165, but do a google search and you will find a place them sells them as cheap as I got mine. Batteries will last 400+ hours.....so thats not a big issue.

Good luck
    MATT

7. Bigfoot

Bigfoot LawnSite Member

Rolotape professional series are nice wheels.

8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Here is a site that has many wheels. Click on the image for the link.

[​IMG]

9. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

eBay comes in handy sometimes. Got a large diameter (including shipping) 10,000 capacity for a lot less than a much smaller one locally.

10. SUGAR_CUT_MARK

SUGAR_CUT_MARK LawnSite Member

i gotta get me one of those. when measuring lawns i presume u measure 2 sides, then multiply those together? then subtract the sq feet of the dimensions of the home?