Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
There are MANY threads on this topic. I have numerous issues with different aspects of this product. In theory it should work better than you could ever imagine, but with every mower deck getting the same blades/lift, it cant be good for all decks.

Then you have the sharpening issue, whick Roy counters with...."You don't need to sharpen then as often because there are 4 to every spindle." A normal blade sharpener CANT sharpen these blades while mounted to the disk (mounting bolt will interfere). And holding that little blade if you unbolt it isn't my idea of a safe sharpening condition. If they were rigid mounted to the disk, computer welded, and balanced, and cost not much more than a standard blade, I'd buy them. The swinging back when you hit an object isn't a big issue with me, and at the blade tip speed I see, they mind as well be solid mounted, cause they aint gonna swing back when I hit a rock!

I think he needs to DONATE a few sets to a few members here on different machines and let us evaluate them. Its just way too much money to "try", and if they don't work well, thats almost a $200.00 to $225.00 dust collector!!

Now he's a sponsor, he needs to step to the plate and allow us to evaluate them.

Right now I can put a brand new set of OEM Excalibur blades on my Lazer.
Excalibur.....Cost = $33.00

Meg-Mo......Cost = $194.85

I can buy almost 5 more sets of Excaliburs with the money I save. Even if I run double Excalibur blaes, I can buy almost 3 complete sets for the price of one Meg-Mo.

He needs to rethink his pricing structure. If they work as good as his site says, MAYBE I'd pay a hundred bucks for a set for my Lazer, but then I have a blade system that I am unable to keep sharp!?

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,802 Posts
I Tryed Them When It First Came Out On a Pro 150-50. They Clumped The Grass within 10 Feet Of Cutting And The Grass Wasen't wet.
They Sit Under My tool Box.
John

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Glan No the mower was 5yr old when I made the MEG-mo .no cleaning no more balanceing no more lumps in yard. Most everything on web you could put a10 in front of quotes

·
Registered
75 Posts
Meg-Mo,
You have quite a few people here interested in your product. You are not helping yourself with terse and cryptic responses. Your web site and FAQ do not cover the bases. Please be more clear. We won't bite, I promise.

·
Registered
332 Posts
How would these compare to running a double blade setup?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Originally posted by John Gamba
I Tryed Them When It First Came Out On a Pro 150-50. They Clumped The Grass within 10 Feet Of Cutting And The Grass Wasen't wet.
They Sit Under My tool Box.
John
Meg-Mo,

Have there been any changes or updates since the original version? How do you respond to John's experience?

Thanks, Clay

·
Registered
389 Posts
its hard to tell from the website as there arent many pictures of the unit(s). but, at first glance, they resemble hay mower blades that we use on the farm. our hay mowers have 2 blades per disk though and not 4.

i dont know how this helps or hurts, i just thought i would add...lol.

·
Registered
11,163 Posts
Originally posted by TLS
I think he needs to DONATE a few sets to a few members here on different machines and let us evaluate them. Its just way too much money to "try", and if they don't work well, thats almost a $200.00 to $225.00 dust collector!!

Now he's a sponsor, he needs to step to the plate and allow us to evaluate them.
Likewise!!! I would love to give them a try. But to me the cost is staggering for something,which in my mind is one of those "maybe" things. Maybe it's all that and maybe it's not. Either way, for a product that is unproven, it too much of an investment just to try and see.

On the other hand, if it is what you claim, donating a few of them members to demo would be an affordable way to have a proven product. If it's a solid product, the sales that would be generated here would be well worth the donated ones in my opinion.

If you do decide to do this, add me to the donation list. With the weather here, there is no shortage of tall and wet grass to try them out on.

·
Registered
14,691 Posts
I am always looking for something new to try out but this blade system is cost prohibitive. Meg-Mo says that you only need to sharpen the blades half as often but I would still feel the need to sharpen them every week. That would be 12 nuts and bolts to remove verses the 3 bolts I do now. The amount of time it takes to sharpen the blades would go up considerably.

What Meg-Mo needs to do is get with that guy who was developing the blades with removable edges. When the edge gets dull you just remove it and throw it away.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I saw Meg-Mo system. The blades looked like standard hay cutter blades. $1.32 each. I built a blade system with two laser cut disks. The bottom one has four posts that go through four coresponding holes on the top disk. The bottom disk has a spacer at the spindle bolt to keep the disks from tightening down on the blades. I only have to take out the spindle bolt and the two disks seperate and the four blades just pop off. I weigh them to balance them. I have experimented with all kinds of blades, from gator mulching blades, normal high lifts etc. I have made my own blades. I have the capability to heat treat them. The swing back feature is good. We mow alot of rocky grass. On the same grass with the same blades, that is normal let's say gators (double's) and the modified gator's, the swing back blades fair much better. My thinking was this. If I came up with a system to replace blades for let's say $ 2.50 each X four, that's $10 versus $26 for normal blades (two gators). That's $16 dollars saving's per spindle. My mowers all have three spindle's so that makes a $48 saving's per blade change. We replace blades once a week sometimes they will go two, but not often. Sharpen every day. The sand in our area destroys blades very fast. Getting the blades manufactured is no big deal, not very expensive.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.