• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Melroe six wheeler?

stuvecorp

LawnSite Fanatic
I saw this listed on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160408742685&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT and thought it was kinda cool. They had a link to another website www.six-wheeler.com that showed some old product video. I've never seen anything like it and obviously it didn't take but had some neat ideas, like the ejector bucket. Has any one read about it or seen one? I do remember seeing a logging six wheel machine, now.

I think someone should get all these old product videos and show them on a cable channel and if they could interview people about it. I would watch every one, any one else?

WillieWonka1850

LawnSite Fanatic
Thats neat! I like the looks of the Sixer toward the end of the video on the website :cool2:
When I saw Melroe I though it was some Bobcat machine I've never heard of ;)
I also looked at that 8 wheel dozer, that things a monster! :weightlifter:

Good find, Stu :cool2:

OP
stuvecorp

stuvecorp

LawnSite Fanatic
I'd love to know the year they came out with it. How did you like the part of the video they were whipping around on the dirt pile?:laugh: Looks like there was a oops there. The vertical lift boom was interesting, kinda reminds me of the big Gehl/Mustang linkage.The music was also priceless.:)

I watched that eight wheel monster video, will have to research that some.

WillieWonka1850

LawnSite Fanatic
I'd love to know the year they came out with it. How did you like the part of the video they were whipping around on the dirt pile?:laugh: Looks like there was a oops there. The vertical lift boom was interesting, kinda reminds me of the big Gehl/Mustang linkage.The music was also priceless.:)

I watched that eight wheel monster video, will have to research that some.
Well Stu, I did a little research on that 8 wheel dozer, well apparently those were the Bobcat loaders bigger brother ;)

Yep, same Melroe as Bobcat :)

J. Peterson Grading

LawnSite Senior Member
If you guys like big, wierd old stuff. Go but a book called,

Giant Earthmovers, An Illustrated History by Kieth Haddock

The big 8 wheeled Melroe moster is written about in his book.

They are now marketed by a company called Innovated Mining and Equipment and from what I understand are still being built today.

The 8 wheel machine was built to do excatally what the video showed, Work at coal mines and coal yards. Thats it.

Still pretty cool though.

J.

J. Peterson Grading

LawnSite Senior Member
I also saw that ebay post. I thought it ws pretty cool and thought it would be neat to have something like that all restored and functioning.

I have seen some older big Bobcats that we modified to have 6 Wheels, the ones I have seen were built for logging purposes. I have never seen one in real lif though, only in pictures.

J.

OP
stuvecorp

stuvecorp

LawnSite Fanatic
That is wild they are still making the 8 wheel monster. We might have that book will have to check.

I will say that Melroe did try different ideas. That six wheel one would be a ideal 'parade' machine.

janb

LawnSite Senior Member
I worked on the 8 wheeler back in ~1976 Longmont, CO. I think it had a 26' blade "WIDE LOAD":)

It took at least three guys to hold the Vernier Calipers when we were machining the side frames.

loupiscopolandscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
looks cool but its lift capacity is only 2200lbs...cnt even pick up a pallet for such a tank of a machine....wierd