Merit Application

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jmlawns, Jun 19, 2016.

1. jmlawns

jmlawns LawnSite Member

With not much rain in the forecast does it hurt for merit to lay awhile before rain? I know it would be best if watered in immediately but I cannot always time it that way with being busy. So my question is how long can it lay and still be affective. Any thoughts out there??

Thanks Jeff

2. jmlawns

jmlawns LawnSite Member

I ask this question 2 years ago and still would like some feed back!!

3. Hineline

Hineline LawnSite Senior Member

I've always applied merit in July. Some yards don't get watered but I have never had a grub breakout on any lawns.

Landgreen and jmlawns like this.
  4. Yatt

Yatt LawnSite Member

Timing is everything in grub control. It needs to be down and watered in when the adult Japanese Beetles start to fly/mate.

The label says it MUST be watered in. I got a pallet down in two days, just prior to two days of rain. It's tough banking on the weather with no irrigation but the product must be incorporated into the soil to be effective.

This is the 1st year I have used it, but the grubs have recently become a serious problem here. All the lawns had grub damage to one degree or another, one had turf you could pick up like a hunk of carpet.

hort101 likes this.
  5. HighChiefKC

HighChiefKC LawnSite Member

You’re seeing grub damage already? We don’t see it in northern Indiana until late August/September

6. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Silver Member

If it hasn't rained and doesn't rain much through mid to late August. Mother nature is controlling the grubs for you. On properties with no irrigation accelepryn applied in may is a much better choice.

Delmarva Keith likes this.
  7. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

I refer to the GDD tracker. http://www.gddtracker.net/ Enter the property zip code and click on Japanese Beetle. It warns about accuracy at different locations but it’s accurate enough for beetle emergence and egg lay. A long acting preventative insecticide will kill eggs and hatchling grubs. If applied way too late as Summer wears on, won’t kill grown grubs. Dylox will if grubs are still detected late Summer.

By late Fall the grubs go deep and it’s too late for anything. Very difficult to treat for grown grubs even with Dylox come Spring. By the time they wake up, move closer to the surface where you can get to them and they start feeding, the damage will be done usually before they can be detected and treated.

For the question about watering in, preventatives need to be watered in. If no irrigation, the question in my mind is will the insecticide degrade in the sun / heat between application time and next rain. Ideally, apply just before a good rain is forecast.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  8. Yatt

Yatt LawnSite Member

The OP was talking about application of Merit and my response was with that question in mind.

If you are using Merit, by the time you see grub damage it is too late to use this product. So my choice to use it this year was based on serious grub damage last year. Applying this according to the GDD tracker, 6/26 was the ideal day for application.

So in my mind, choosing to use Merit is more or less a guess on how bad grub pressure will be. Around here it seems Japanese beetles are getting worse. Today at the golf course, half of the leaves on Linden trees are stripped already and they are still chomping away.

9. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

10. Yatt

Yatt LawnSite Member

Good article. I have never truly examined the rear ends of the beetles to determine which type, Japanese or the Chafer. However I have never seen the Chafer beetles and we are deluged with Japanese beetles. But I see timing of the treatment from the article is the same:

Japanese beetle adult emergence was very close to northern masked chafer emergence in 2005. Thus, timing a preventive application for control of Japanese beetle grubs would be very similar to the northern masked chafers’ application timing. Japanese beetle eggs usually hatch approximately 14 days after being laid. Hence, a preventive application of a registered insecticide applied between mid-June and mid-July in 2005 in Centre County should have provided preventive control of the two latter scarab white grubs (i.e., Japanese beetle and northern masked chafer). Please refer to specific labels for use site restrictions, dosage rates, safety equipment, application timing, and so forth.

FWIW, on my apple trees I added Wrangler (Imadacloprorid) to the regular cover sprays 2 weeks ago when I started seeing Japanese beetles. There were quite a few beetles on the trees mating but little damage and a lot of dead ones on the ground.