• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Mess of a grave

TeamLawnCare

LawnSite Member
About a month ago the water main in my house went out. It happened on a Saturday afternoon, I wasn't able to get anyone out to fix it until Monday. When I got home I found what looked to be a grave in my front yard. The crews dug down to fix the pipe almost 6' in three different sections of my yard. They did a decent job of filling in the hole and replacing the grass except for one piece. I was a little agitated at the way it looked at the time, however we received 2' of snow the next day so I quickly placed it off. However now that the snow has melted I am ready to make a project of it. My company is mostly just maintenance work, so I haven't ever dealt with seeding and I figure this is a good time to learn. If this were your lawn what would be your plan of attack?

IMG_1171.jpg

IMG_1173.jpg

Marcos

LawnSite Gold Member
1)Because it's obviously still cold there, I'm sure the soil didn't settle all that well. Wait until the temps rise & the soil temp rises below surface level.
2) Once it's warm, pick through the top 6" or so & get rid of all those rocks.
3) Get one, maybe 2 bags of compost & incorporate them into that top 6" of soil.
4) Match grass from your lawn to seed from store, and buy (2 lb max).
5) Seed, using a 1/2 rate
6) Rake ever-so lightly with a grass or garden rake.
7) Use the rest of the seed.
8) Straw (or even better) get a bag of 'Penn Mulch' & cover it lightly.
9) Water shallowly & frequently until germinated, then change pattern to more heavily & more infrequently until you're sure it will make it.

Or.....buy sod! :)

DiyDave

LawnSite Bronze Member
Till it up, and put in a mini vegetable garden, maybe a couple of 'maters. Here's why, its gonna settle, cause it was dug up in the cold part of the year. If you don't go the garden route, be prepared to add some topsoil within a year or two. For now, I'd just till it up, seed, little starter fertilizer, and water it in 2-3x a day, just keep it damp till the grass sprouts.

Marcos

LawnSite Gold Member
Till it up, and put in a mini vegetable garden, maybe a couple of 'maters. Here's why, its gonna settle, cause it was dug up in the cold part of the year.
That'd be really cool, DiyDave!
Free tomatoes, onions & peppers for any and all pedestrian & bicyclist passers-by! :laugh:

OP
T

TeamLawnCare

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the input guys, the garden idea made me think I could put in a couple of pumpkin plants in, have them sprout all over my lawn. I took those pictures yesterday and within two hours all of the snow on my lawn was melted. Right after they filled in the hole and I came home and saw the mess, I got my tamper and went to town on it, at that point the ground was pretty frozen already. I think I will just wait another week or so and hope that the ground will thaw out, then prep it and tamp it, and prep it and tamp it, then lay a roll of sod on it.

It is really a blemish on my lawn, my neighbors keep joking with me that I am the one with the lawn business in the neighborhood, and I have the ugliest lawn... It has kind of turned into a sore subject around here.

DiyDave

LawnSite Bronze Member
Thanks for the input guys, the garden idea made me think I could put in a couple of pumpkin plants in, have them sprout all over my lawn. I took those pictures yesterday and within two hours all of the snow on my lawn was melted. Right after they filled in the hole and I came home and saw the mess, I got my tamper and went to town on it, at that point the ground was pretty frozen already. I think I will just wait another week or so and hope that the ground will thaw out, then prep it and tamp it, and prep it and tamp it, then lay a roll of sod on it.

It is really a blemish on my lawn, my neighbors keep joking with me that I am the one with the lawn business in the neighborhood, and I have the ugliest lawn... It has kind of turned into a sore subject around here.
If it sinks back in, by Halloween, why not just put up a real gravestone, like here lies ( fill in the blank ) killed by a city backhoe, etc, etc, let your imagination fill in the blanks, that way dean C. Woermer won't get on my case about it!:laugh::laugh::waving:

shooterm

LawnSite Senior Member
Once it completely thawed out, lay out some landscape fabric next to the hole. Hand dig the trench 3ft down(its not hard its uncompacted soil) put soil on blanket. Rent a jumping jack and compact the trench. Now but in the rest of the material in one foot lifts compact it again. You'll end up needing alittle extra material which is handy because you dont want the topsoil compacted anyways. Now just hand seed the area and mantain it. Dont use sod you'll end up with a goofing looking strip for a few years. We end up doing this on most of are street jobs every spring because services always seem to be the last thing backfilled before last minute curbing and paving.

shooterm

LawnSite Senior Member
Also just to add something you may want to wait even alittle longer to see if the other areas settle before going all out on one area.

ruffs

LawnSite Member
i would Get a yard of top soil and dump it leave it mounded a little less than a foot and seed it so it wont wash a way . should settle in about 8 months or so . you wont be able to tell how much it will settle till it dose. you might need a little more soil next year .