1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Methods Of Aerating

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcw615, Sep 18, 2009.

1. mcw615

mcw615 LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen a few guys out this year aerating with an ATV and a BlueBird pull behind aerator.. I am considering going with this method, seems to get the medium/large jobs done faster and the company can buy me an ATV to use year round :) and then the other thought would be to rent a 21" aerator for a weekend and go knock out the small yards and the small areas I couldn't get with the ATV.

Anyone had experience and thoughts on these two different methods?

2. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

that is exactly what I do...The only thing I don't like about it is...well actually there's two things, the ATV turning radius is huge, and I'd like some kind of actuator that raises & lowers the Aerator...I'm thinking a very small lawn tractor with 3-point would be the real ticket!!

3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I use a garden tractor. Works just fine. I have a Grizzly 660 but it is to large for the properties I maintain plus it would rip up the grass (locked rear diff) when turning and make a mess of the job.

4. tgaskill

tgaskill LawnSite Member

I do this, but with my ZTR. Works great. I do have a couple with fenced yards that I have to rent a walk behind but do them all at the same time.