1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Metric or SAE tool kit?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JaekayDesign, Dec 6, 2017.

1. JaekayDesign

JaekayDesign LawnSite Member

so, in preparing my rig for the up coming season.. What are most bolts n such on mowers these days. It's narrowed down to a ferris z1, a v-ride 2(48") or possibly a JD 648R if they can get the price wright. (See what I did there) but.. What are most mowers made up of? Like, blade bolt sizes, and boots or tension pulleys I got to mess with to change belts, etc. I already have tons of tools just for my shop equipment (furniture maker) but I also have a full on craftsman portable tool chest.. BUT, I do plan on getting a Milwaukee 3/8" drive socket m12 fuel unit... And I'm def gonna need to get some impact bits for that puppy. I do plan on doing as much work on the machine as possible. With that being said.. The ferris has hydro gear transaxles, which I hear are really easy to maintain, yet the machine is very tight and hard to work on. I wonder about changing a belt on one of them..
    Also going to have a HI-lift jack for the mower, the trailer, who knows what.

2. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

Your going to need metrics and sae set. Most blades are still SAE 15/16th all motor bolts are metrics. Other things that's up to whatever they use.

hort101 likes this.
  3. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Florida

If you only get one, you’ll inevitably need the other; at probably the most inopportune time.

hort101 likes this.
  4. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

Yep, you need both. America, along with Britain are the only two countrys in the WORLD that still use the SAE standard. I think its a crock. My F150 engine has both metric and SAE fasteners on it.

RDALawns likes this.
  5. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

M12 3/8 won’t be taking blade bolts off. You need at least a mid torque m18. I have the high torque m18. Have the m18 3/8 and it won’t pull blade bolts usually.

JaekayDesign likes this.
  6. JaekayDesign

Oh.. I know that. I got a big 369 snap on breaker bar I found on the side of the road I’m gonna use for blade changes till I can get the big impact. But for general service, the 3/8 m12 socket will do fine. Like I said, I have multiple FuLL tool sets, and I love buying more, but I do want to kinda narrrow it down a lil bit for a trailer tool kit. I still don’t know where I want to keep it either...

7. JaekayDesign

36” bar... I mean. It’s somewhere in my shop. But I found it on the side of the road, pristine condition... and it’s long . Not sure if it’s 1/2 or 3/8” drive. Glad I kept it. I’m thinking one of those 30” -36” under trailer boxes that the door folds forward.. get a 4 drawer, or whatever will fit, Middle (no lid to lock drawers) tool chest and load that with tools and then have room on the side for the cordless tools to fit. ( I can make cradles or whatnot). Then have the chargers running off the inverter that will power my printer, IPad mini charger, etc. I’ll build a wooden station in the back seat area of the GMC 1500 to fit all that and the printer, and more paper, etc.
    I’m thinking I’m gonna have to get a tool box for the truck also..

hort101 likes this.
  8. greennola

greennola LawnSite Member

You should have both SAE and Metric. Each part of your equipment, depending on where it was manufactured, may require either. Too many times I had something go wrong with equipment and I would have to drive back home (or worse, buy something on the spot) that I could have been carrying in my truck with little lost space. It became so many wasted hours that I had to stay on top of it.

I love my ratcheting wrenches. They are expensive compared to regular combination wrenches, but for the sizes I use most... indispensable.

hort101 and RDALawns like this.
  9. JaekayDesign

Yeah... I’m looking real hard at those SK ratcheting wrenches, and I guess get a Milwaukee impact set(s)

10. Blainethompson

Blainethompson LawnSite Senior Member

Best bang for the buck when it comes to a tool set. Harbor freight. 300piece set $175-199 depending if you can find A coupon. Yeah it’s from harbor freight but I guarantee I have and gone through more tools then most full time mechanics. I literally have 10 full size 7ft tall took boxes in my shop full of tools. Snap on, Pittsburg, kobalt, Matco, mac, you name it. I’ve had or have them. I have never busted a socket from the 300piece sets and I’ve hammered on some with a snap on 1/2 impact. However, the ratchets in the sets are junk. I have 4 of the 300 sets. I buy them, take the ratchets out throw them in the trash and buy snap on 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 ratchets to put in there place. Just my opinion, but you won’t find a better tool set for the money, and there’s just about everything in there when it comes to sockets.

https://m.harborfreight.com/301-pc-mechanics-tool-set-63457.html

hort101 and Eric502 like this.