1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Metric or SAE tool kit?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JaekayDesign, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Eric502

Eric502 LawnSite Member
    Male

Blainethompson beat me to it in the above post on HF tools↑↑↑↑

Right now is the time to buy if you are going to get a set. I have no problem with a HF toolset, they have served me well.

Also on sale for $200 (actually got mine fore $189+ tax), and this is what I picked up simply cause I happened to be standing there is this: 450 piece set from Craftsman/Sears
    http://www.sears.com/craftsman-450-...SellerId=Sears&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Blainethompson and hort101 like this.
  2. JaekayDesign

JaekayDesign LawnSite Member

I have a full 200 piece something craftsman tool kit... it missing a few wrenches, that’s ok. And I’ll pick up a cheap impact set based on what I need once I pick up whatever machine I get. I’m not pulling and tools from the drawers in my shop, but I do have plenty of extra tools to outfit my trailer rig.... just curious as to what I would need. Looks like I’m gonna being the craftsman set with me, get some ratcheting wrenches, and pick up a small impact set of sockets, and a m12 3/8” ratchet from Milwaukee. And just go from there. Just need to fix mowers onsite to the best of my ability.. if not.. I’ll pull it in the shop or take to dealer

hort101 likes this.
  3. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Silver Member

All a landscaper needs is a pair of ViceGrips and a roll of knock off Gorilla Tape.

Go to Harbor Frgt. Buy a set of each. They've come a long way and aren't far off Craftsman quality without the inflated price. If you tighten bld bolt by hand you'll be able to loosen them by hand.
    Guys constant;ly over-tighten them. Most only need about 70 ft lbs, if its a 5/8's sae bolt.
    Just make sure you get SIX POINT for your bld bolts.
    Unless you have a feel for impact guns, I guarantee you'll do more damage than good.

hort101 likes this.
  4. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Get a sunex 3/8 master set for sockets. Changing blades with a breaker bar sucks ass.

And the only thing I use on 12 volt is 1/4

5. JaekayDesign

The Milwaukee socket was mainly for speed, but I like to hand tighten things. Been a mechanic on and off on a lot of things. I see the 3/8 socket thing from Milwaukee helping out with stuff like a really long pulley tension bolt or something like that. I’m not one for blindly tightening things down till the impact stops.. being a woodworker, I am a lot more “by the feel” of my hand kinda thing.
    I’ll have to check out the sunex sets. I do have my eyes on those SK gearwrench wrenches. They are nice and the reviews are great.

6. whiffyspark

Sk x frames are nice.

I used long pattern double box end gear wrenches the most.

7. whiffyspark

8. JaekayDesign

Thanks for that link. That is a good price and it comes in its own case, which I like. Doesn’t seem like I’m gonna be able to fit a tool box big enough, in one of those 36” underbody mount tool boxes.. so, I’ll get one of those “middle” tool boxes with 3-4 drawers and use it wisely. I have the craftsman set and in a case and the sunex set comes in a case.
    Also, Kaizen foam is your friend in setting up a setup like this.. kinda like the sonic tools foam sets.. except you make all your own layout n such