1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

Michelin tweels

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by rungreen, Feb 15, 2016.

1. rungreen

rungreen LawnSite Member

Looking at these for a z930r deere. Wondered who was running them and what they thought? I am mostly worried about how hard they are on wet grass and when turning. I already know they are expensive. Thanks

2. CGros31

CGros31 LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering the same thing. I haven't seen them on any of the ZTR's down here yet, but I have seen them on an ATV at a local ATV dealership.

3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Since they actually have a larger footprint than a standard tire, I would think they'd be easier on grass as long as you apply the same operating techniques as you always have.

4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

That depends on what metric you are measuring. Larger tire ,less rutting, better traction, more tearing on turns.

5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

No, not at all. Larger footprint- less lbs per sq inch. Less lbs per sq inch- less chance of tearing grass all else being equal.

Lawn Spa likes this.
  6. weeze

weeze Banned

3 point turns you will not tear the grass. i'd like to have a set of tweels but way too expensive to even consider.

7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Nope, your wrong , more tire , more bite, you have to turn slower .

8. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

No way. Less psi on the ground so they turn easier and don't bite. Actually would have less traction.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Ya right , that's why top fuel dragsters use low pressure tall fat tires, they don't want traction.....silly yard boys.....

10. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

You have to stop and think about the 2 very different situations that you're comparing.

1) A surface covered with grass that is very prone to (PSI) weight /tire footprint size because of the possible "digging in effect" of a tire on the ground.

2) A VERY sticky surface that isn't subject to being dug into....bigger footprint /less slippage because of the size of the contact patch and the stickiness of the track.

A tire on grass will have less traction (and be more apt to spin) with a larger foot print because the larger foot print doesn't create as much downward force (per sq in) so it doesn't dig in as much.

Treaded tires in dirt are a different thing.