1. Ask the Expert: Fertilization Strategies for Success: Dec. 12, 2017
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental: Dec. 12, 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Michigan Laws

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jtkplc, Apr 18, 2006.

  1. jtkplc

    jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,656

    The company I work for got pulled over yesterday by the Motor Carrier Division. Here is what the officer told us:

    If your truck weighs more than 5000lbs. (so probably any of you with a 3/4 ton truck or larger) and pulling a trailer for a profit-making venture will need to get that truck registered with a commercial plate (Elected Gross Vehicle Weight registration plate). You can look on the Michigan State Police's website under FAQ's and find it.

    He also told us the requirement for straping down equipment is if the equipment's center of gravity is 6 inches or higher above the side rails of the trailer it needs to be strapped down. Otherwise, it doesn't.

    He mentioned nothing about DOT numbers, special licensing (chauffeurs or CDL), or inspections, which I have read that some say you need those things.
  2. Dweezil

    Dweezil LawnSite Member
    Messages: 66

    Just to cover our delivery truck, the driver must have a chauffeurs liscence and physical, fire extingusher on board and flares incase of a flat, and a commertial plate. Untill a few years ago none of that was required, but the law was changed. We actually try to go a little above what's required just to make sure, and so far it's paid off.

Share This Page